Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?

Article about: I've been offered this M18 helmet. Its made by ET (Eisenhüttenwerk), large size 68. I think everything is original, one thing that puzzles me is the colour - black, I thought they had only o

?

Default Re: WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?

Alech, I wasn't talking about a difference of colour, but about a difference of condition... I wrote the following: "The linerband has almost all of the feldgrau paint present, while the rest of the helmet is almost completely covered with rust on the inside."
    This means that the linerband has far better condition than the helmet itself, so they don't match.
    Linerbands were indeed most of the time made by different companies; therefore the paint colour can be slightly different... but still they should be in the same condition...
    Concerning the strap again: These straps were only in use on M18 helmets, starting in august 1918, so the date 1917 is a real give away...
    @ Greg: I sure can believe you couldn't resist... just fantastic!

Adler
    Last edited by Adler; 10-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?
    P
    Many

?

I don't know if this is allowed (mods, please remove if not), but here are some links (from another forum) to helmets with the Otto Koch stamp on the strap:
    http://www.walhalla.se/topic/14329-m...1&#entry151441
    http://www.walhalla.se/topic/10605-m...l__Otto%20koch
    http://www.walhalla.se/topic/10881-m...1&#entry114117

Hope this helps you ...

Adler

?

Quote by Adler View Post
    I wrote the following: "The linerband has almost all of the feldgrau paint present, while the rest of the helmet is almost completely covered with rust on the inside."
    This means that the linerband has far better condition than the helmet itself, so they don't match.
    Linerbands were indeed most of the time made by different companies; therefore the paint colour can be slightly different... but still they should be in the same condition...
    Adler
    Adler, thanks for the links, read the threads with interest nice to see a couple more straps stamped in the format you suggest is correct - builds the database up a little from the original number of 1, I would say the discussion on the straps is going your way.
    Regarding your liner quote above - I did mention in post 7 the helmet appeared to have never been painted on the inside, thus after 90+ years I would expect to see on a unpainted steel helmet surface rust. Likewise a painted steel liner after 90+ years I would expect to be in better condition (due to paint protection) don't agree at all with your statement in the quote's last sentence - "but still they should be in the same condition"
    Best Wishes

?

Alech, I was only trying to give you good advice by telling you that the liner and strap are known reproductions and they were aged to decieve also... If you don't see that, if you think every part of the helmet is original and if you want to believe everything is just fine, than you have to do so. It's a pitty nobody else seems to have further opinions any more, but that's the way it is...
    Still hope you are happy with your helmet...

Adler

?

" I shall be handing this helmet back - to many known unknowns."

Hi Adler,
    The above quote comes from my post Nr.14 in the thread - if you look it up its there to see, in the this post, I say also I'd like to give my slant on the points your raised, everything else stems from that. I pressed for in-depth information because (a) I like to know ( we've all read stupid thread posts - crap, dont like it, fake, not for my collection - which tells nobody nothing) so I appreciate it when a member sticks with it and tries to give decent information out - as I do myself (b) I've got to have a coherent augment i.e. facts to put together, when I give it back, can't just use this one word stuff. Again thanks for the help. Regards

Adler....I am sorry that I have not jumped in before now...but your advice and knowledge on this helmet is bar none, there was nothing for me to add, you are spot on ! and therefore as we say in the U.K. I did not wish to step on your toes, as I consider your opinions and thoughts on Imperial Militaria impeachable ! Alech....the Koch chinstraps are well known in Imperial collector circles...there are even M16/Pickelhaube replicas of Koch straps.....Adler has given you VERY sound and correct advice , if you choose to ignore, that is your perogative....all that matters for you is that you are happy with your purchase....I would not be ! the liner and the chinstrap are fakes, simples......
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Alec
    I had the exact same liner example Adler pointed out the chinstrap faults for me on another forum about 3yrs years ago the band, pads and chinstrap are all incorrect and since found out they are old replacements for post W1 M18 helmet shells and not made anymore, at some point a stamp was added to misrepresent a W1 chinstrap. Further you can easily spread the soft square metal strap retaining link to remove the chinstrap which you cannot do on an original the link joint is sweated together. As you see there is no band strengthening crease and the pads are classic old replacements not W1.
    My liner lesson cost me 350 dollars and a visit to an old friend here in the States. I gave mine or sold for a minimal amount to William on Waf to complete a repro. build project. Sorry Alec jmo. Adler's comments are impeccable as always.

Regards
    Eric

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3