Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Iron Cross 2nd class

Article about: Hi all, Apologies for asking, I am sure this forum is inundated with these requests. I have inherited an Iron cross second class. it is made of a number of pieces (not a solid piece) but unf

alwaa
    ?

Default WW1 Iron Cross 2nd class

Hi all,

Apologies for asking, I am sure this forum is inundated with these requests.
    I have inherited an Iron cross second class. it is made of a number of pieces (not a solid piece) but unfortunately has the ring snapped off. I have held a magnet to the centre piece and it stuck. I am looking to put this on ebay, I dont want to claim it is authentic unless I am convinced (which in my naivety I currently am).
    Could you have a look at the photos, and let me know if you think its worth much and if it is actually real in your experience?

Thanks for any time you spend on this .

All the best

alwaaWW1 Iron Cross 2nd classWW1 Iron Cross 2nd classWW1 Iron Cross 2nd class

2. # ADS

?

Hello,

I would say the cross is original. The distinctive style of the crown also leads me to think that the cross could be made by the maker "MFH". But let’s wait for opinions from more experienced fellow members.

Do not, however, expect to get much for such cross. The missing ring and thoroughly worn condition will be a serious hindrance for most of collectors. The price would be at a minimum, I am afraid, as this is very common award. In this light, it perhaps might not be a bad idea to keep the cross as a keepsake – especially if it belonged to some family ancestor.

Pavel is 100% correct in his assessment of this cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.