MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 iron cross second class real?

Article about: Hello everyone. first time posting. Short story. This medal was found in one of my families boxes of stuff. It hasn't been opened for a rather long time so I am fairly sure its real. I am cu

?

Default ww1 iron cross second class real?

Hello everyone. first time posting.

Short story. This medal was found in one of my families boxes of stuff. It hasn't been opened for a rather long time so I am fairly sure its real.

I am curious about the ribbon. the center strip is actually very dark blue. I looked at A LOT of ribbons is this a replacement? Anyone can tell me anything about the makers mark? I don't know how to zoom it in here. Only know how to do it on my phone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 iron cross second class real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww1 iron cross second class real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: ww1 iron cross second class real?

Hi. The ribbon might have faded to a dark blue? But if it's black it's for my favorite medal - the War Merit Cross. I don't like the looks of the medal so far, but as always, we need more pictures. It stands a good chance. But the leaves do look a little suspicious in my honest opinion.

An actual WWI iron cross ribbon would be black with two white, vertical lines. No ribbon for this medal is not a problem. The problem would be having a ribbon and no cross.

?

I will get more pictures at the time of this pic I was looking at the makers mark

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is indeed an original WW2 War Merit Cross ribbon.

The Iron Cross is original.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Welcome!

As has already been said, original cross and ribbon but they don't belong together.

If you can post some straight on shots of the obverse and reverse of the cross it would help and a closer one of the makers mark too? Can you make out what the letters are? If so then we might be able to tell you which company made it.

Don't clean it whatever you do!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi,
    I have no doubts that your cross is an original.
    The makers mark, I believe to be a poorly stamped "Fr" who is thought to be
    Friedlander.

I took the liberty of enlarging your picture and then comparing it to
    known examples of Fr marked crosses. (yours is the middle image)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 iron cross second class real?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

They you very much for the replies. More pictures will come along in a week or two. I'll be sure to mention the no cleaning part.

The ribbon not matching the medal rather increases the mystery of where my grandfather got this medal. My grandfather was in the RCAF for ww2. This medal was found with his medal case, but in the back of his case not displayed. I have a Great gather father who was named Pratt in ww1. Our current thinking is that this is his medal.

Many German medals from WW1 (and before) were sold off by the owners in the 1920s during the economic turmoil then as well as during the Great Depression (same for Allied soldiers).

I guess I was looking at it wrong. Haha.

?

I apologize for taking so long to get these new pictures.

It has a Crack across its back right belong the 'W', third picture down. No idea how it got there, its been there a long time too. And I realize that its a tad blurry. I didn't notice until I uploaded it.
    Also the lighting wasn't very good. I was forced to use a small LED flashlight to improve the visibility which has added some odd colours.

ww1 iron cross second class real?ww1 iron cross second class real?ww1 iron cross second class real?ww1 iron cross second class real?ww1 iron cross second class real?