Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?

Article about: Picked up this WW1 German Mess Tin. Looked through the imperial threads hoping to find another one to compare with it. Taller by 3cm than WW2 German Mess Tin and has four soup ration marks a

?

Default WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?

Picked up this WW1 German Mess Tin. Looked through the imperial threads hoping to find another one to compare with it. Taller by 3cm than WW2 German Mess Tin and has four soup ration marks as against three, Makers Mark reads - E.T.A.G. -THALE - A/H - 14. Does any member know this maker? the only maker I know from Thale is the helmet manufacturer Eisenhuttenwerk. The four letters could stand for Eisenhuttenwerk Thale Aktien Gesellschaft. I was under the impression the firm used the initials EHW, I'm unsure. Any information would be welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?   WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?  

WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?   WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?  

WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?  

Default Re: WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?

Eisenhüttenwerk Thale AG, iron foundry/ironworks is all I know of.
    Also made helmets I think?
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Default Re: WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?

Yes Eric,
    I believe Eisenhüttenwerke solely produced the first Stahlhelms, M16's for the German army. The plant covers a valley floor http://www.flickr.co...per/5298024758/

?

Here's another mess tin I picked up last week - a later model, enamelled inside and outside, maker Ullrich dated 1918, although I believe it to be a 1916 model with a flat hook on the handle retaining plate. One strange feature, the top piece enamel appears to have darkened from a dark blue to almost black (although in places the original colour is there to see) any idea what this could be ? - don't think its due to being held over a fire or age.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?   WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?  

?

This pattern would have to be after the April 1917 change to the lid, where a piece was bent up across from the hinge to keep the Kochgeschirrriemen from sliding off. Some late messkits were coated with a dark brown to black bakelite.

Chip

?

Oh ! - after April 1917 - thanks for the post - any ideas why the lid is darker ?

?

My guess is they were mismatched somewhere along the way. I seriously doubt that the manufacturer would have delivered them this way.

Chip

?

Alec nice kits
    You know Chip when ever I've seen a blue Ullrich they always had that grey lid? you watch now someone will post an all matching blue one!!!!

Eric

?

Here's the second Mess Tin I picked up from the same seller the other week. Earlier model, its certainly a mismatch - Lid stamped - Met. Fabr. 14 Mussbach - (Metallwaren Fabrik). The Body is stamped - Ullrich 14 same year different maker, if what I've read concerning early aluminium Feld Flasche's applies to early aluminium Mess Tins, (they were due to a aluminium shortage melted down and replaced by steel ones). I'm lucky to have this one

WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?   WW1 Mess Tin - Maker ?  

?

A very nice collection Alec, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying seeing your acquisitions, especially your most recent M1910 made of aluminum.

There is a good and informative thread on the subject of the wide variety of German mess tins on the "Histoire & Militaria 14 - 18" Forum (in French) at:

La gamelle du soldat allemand en 14/18 *

I have not found a good reference on Imperial German mess gear in English so for the time being this thread does an excellent job for me.

Thanks for posting your examples.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast