Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Mountain Troop Cap Badge - GEBA V !

Article about: Small 27 x 35 mm WW1 metal badge, unsure what it is. A guess, GEBA maybe means Gebirgsjäger Battalion V, although the flower on top doesn't fit the usual representation of the edelweiss, the

?

Default WW1 Mountain Troop Cap Badge - GEBA V !

Small 27 x 35 mm WW1 metal badge, unsure what it is. A guess, GEBA maybe means Gebirgsjäger Battalion V, although the flower on top doesn't fit the usual representation of the edelweiss, the set of antlers on the two side does, anyone have information ? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1  Mountain Troop Cap Badge - GEBA V !  WW1  Mountain Troop Cap Badge - GEBA V ! 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1  Mountain Troop Cap Badge - GEBA V !
    P
    Many

"GeBa" was the abbreviation for Gebirgskanonen-Batterie [Mountain Gun Battery], later designated Gebirgs-Batterie [Mountain Battery].

(Although I cannot rule out with absolute certainty that the "GEBA" has a different meaning here, the combination of symbols (Edelweiß, sword, 1915/1918) make a military/WW I/mountain troops connection almost certain, so I think this is the right interpretation.)

Such units existed in the Wurttembergian and Bavarian mountain troops. The "B." on top may be the abbreviation for "Bayerische" [Bavarian].

The "e.V." at the bottom is the abbreviation for "eingetragener Verein" [registered association]

So, while I cannot offer a positive ID, my guess would be a badge for a veterans' association of former mountain artillery personnel.

I have never seen one of these before so I have no useful information to add.
    However it it a very cool looking piece and the information added by Andreas
    makes perfect sense.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks for the post Andreas, your a diamond - terrific, covers all the questions raised in my mind concerning the meaning of the different lettering and symbolic design. Hadn't held out any great hope of getting a reply, so your post is all the more satisfying. I took the badge yesterday with me to the military fair at Reichertshofen, showed it to the biggest dealer in Germany, he said, it was interesting and offered me €30 I wasn't tempted, now I know what it is, will try and find some information about this veteran's association, can't image it had longevity. Again thanks