Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).

Article about: by oradour Kris, leave it with me...i'll search tonight, i didnt mark as watching...I will have to find it again ! cheers, Steve. Kris...found it ! 2er Ordenspange Kapartencorps Österreich G

Default WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).

Guys,

Wouldn't normally bother with this sort of photo but it had what I think is an unusual tradition badge?

Any ideas?

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).

Jockauld, not a traditions badge....the famed, and highly desirable 'KarpathianKorps' badge, issued to formations, that served and fought in the Carpathian/Transylvanian alp region along side KuK troops, a high proportion being Bavarian units.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?).  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 Soldiers (unusual traditions cap badge?). 

I am glad you bought it as I had never seen or heard of this one before. Very educational.

Cheers, Ade.

Jobber
    ?

Any educated guess as to what year the photo was taken?

Jobber, the 'Karpathenabzeichen' was authorized for wear on 11th July 1917, if you look at the wearer of this insignia on the photograph, you will see he is also wearing the 'wound badge' in black, on his lower left chest, this award was authorized 3rd March 1918, so this 'posed' studio type photograph dates from between March and November 1918.

?

is there a chance that this "KarpathianKorps" fought in Romania ? in Marasti Marasesti and Oituz ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I am glad you bought it as I had never seen or heard of this one before. Very educational.

Cheers, Ade.
    That goes for me to!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Adept View Post
    is there a chance that this "KarpathianKorps" fought in Romania ? in Marasti Marasesti and Oituz ?
    Adept,stuka f....The 'Karpathiankorps' was mainly composed of Jager Battalions, in the 200th Division, and was formed in July 1916, comprising of Jager Btl's 3 (4 battalions),4,5 and Reserve Jager Btl 20, also included were the 36th & 37th Landsturm regiments, a Field Artillery regt and the 2nd Mountain Artillery Abteilung (Bavarian), in 1917/18 they were expanded having 2-3 squadrons of Uhlans, Pioneers, Field Hospitals (inc a Vetinary hospital), Telephone and train troops. As far as the question 'did they fight in Romania?' the answer sadly, is no...unlike the 'Alpenkorps' which fought in the Transylvanian Alps region of Romania helping to secure the vital passes in the invasion of Romania in late 1916 (but thats another story). Back to the 'Kapathiankorps', during the Brusilov offensive, together with the 1st Division it fought mainly on the Galician front and helped stem the above offensive, taking part in a counter-offensive and securing the area around Mount Tomnatik, Bukovina. In 1917 when the battles of Marasti, Marasesti & Oituz were being waged in Northern Romanania involving Von Mackensens Army of the Danube, incl Bulgarian and Turkish troops, the Karpathiankorps remained in the Bukovina area, taking part in a further offensive taking a position north of Sereth, it was kept here until it was transfered to the Italian front in September 1917, taking part in one of the many battles of the Isonzo, it took heavy losses. Allied inteligence in 1917, rated the 200th Division as one of the best divisions in the German Army. In 1918 it was rested and re-equipped with fresh troops and spent time at the front in the Marne region France, the Division ended its days at Wassigny, strange to say that in 1918 the division had been downclassed (again by Allied inteligence) to a second class division, but one of the better divisions. This is a potted short history of the Karpathiankorps, if i have ommitted or not included certain information it was not intentional, if any other member has anyhing to add please feel free to do so. I hope this short essay has helped bring to the fore, another less known 'Elite' unit of the Kaisers army.

Thanks for sharing that info! Much appreciate your knowledge and effort!
    cheers
    kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

I was not expecting this kind of answer. I thank you for detailing so much, beats a simple "no" )). Danke.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast