Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hello all, spotted this for sale yesterday relatively cheap but looks like it's been recently painted over in grey paint. Liner is missing too and looks like it's been replaced with a Britis

?

Default Re: WW1 Stahlhelm?

Personally the helmets interior looks like a satin black , which could mean the exterior is as well, and that could prove to be an exciting helmet, you never know, it could have remnants of a special decal under there, very careful removal of the paint is whats required here, no abrasive material, no harsh paint remover, caustic soda etc, the acetone method might be the way forward , if you decide to buy it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

Interesting Dave. I was wondering why the interior was painted black and just assumed someone has had a real go at it. I love these helmets and would love to rescue it if I could but I'm not a fan of repainted helmets. Maybe lovingly restored rather than refurbed. I think there is something lost when it is repainted, it looks too repro for me.

Caustic soda and the acetone method are applied in what fashion by the way? Cotton wool?

p.s I've sent the guy an email but he hasn't got back to me yet. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

?

You dont use caustic soda on a helmet that you suspect has original paint underneath, the acetone method has to be applied carefully with a Q tip and in slow degrees, it would take time and patience, especially around the decal areas

Sorry I misread your post. If I do go for it I'll go for it with acetone, the Q-tip and the softly, softly approach. It would make for a nice little project through the winter months.

?

A project is the way to look at it, no expectations, there may be no "special" attributes to this helmet, but there might be original paint underneath, and you have to guage how far your willing to go, how deep the cleaning has to be without disturbing any paint underneath

Hello all,

just to update. I missed out on it on this helmet. I sent the guy an email but got no reply and then when I texted him it had just gone. You win some and you lose some I suppose! Anyway have just noticed it is now up for auction on e-bay and the new owner has had a little scrape at it. I'm not sure that it has been a very sympathetic scrape either. Any ideas as to what the thick white stripe may have represented around it's girth?

WW1 Stahlhelm?
    Last edited by canti44; 01-28-2013 at 10:50 PM.

To update further a few folk on ebay must have spotted something they found of interest as it has just sold for £228!!! Did they get

ebay fever or something?

Any ideas? I thought it may have become a fire-fighter's helmet or something like that.

WW1 Stahlhelm?

Crazy price, I can't see anything that hints at it being special.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2