Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 straps on ww2 backpack from Normandy

Article about: I was given this backpack from a farmer in Normandy, the backpack is dated 1939 but both of the straps are from ww1 dated 1916 with regiment markings on it could you guys help me with some i

Default WW1 straps on ww2 backpack from Normandy

WW1 straps on ww2 backpack from NormandyWW1 straps on ww2 backpack from NormandyWW1 straps on ww2 backpack from NormandyWW1 straps on ww2 backpack from Normandy

I was given this backpack from a farmer in Normandy, the backpack is dated 1939 but both of the straps are from ww1 dated 1916 with regiment markings on it could you guys help me with some info on the regiment look on the web but did not find any info.

?

Default Re: WW1 straps on ww2 backpack from Normandy

Another nice find Chris and somewhat unusual , had a look myself and couldnt find anything myself , will try another tack, cheers dave

Quote by davejb View Post
    Another nice find Chris and somewhat unusual , had a look myself and couldnt find anything myself , will try another tack, cheers dave
    Thank you Brother,Yes somewhat unusual why would they do that maybe they belong to the soldier during ww1?

Maybe the straps were reissued and given a newer/better sack.

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Maybe the straps were reissued and given a newer/better sack.
    I do not know about that,I would not think so but could be.

?

Chris, the only thing i could find was INFANTERIE RGT 23 " Von Winterfeldt " formed in Nysa , Poland, Prussian Province of Silesia, had a long history as one of the Landwehr or volunteer units, raised to fight Napoleon in 1813, however the reference J R 23 seems to relate to a re-enactment society more than any other details, which is confusing, a pal of mine has a complete list of all regiments on all sides that fought in ww1, i will pass the details over to him as he is very clued up on ww1 history, will pm you later today if he finds anything, dave

Chris, the only thing i could find was INFANTERIE RGT 23 " Von Winterfeldt " formed in Nysa , Poland, Prussian Province of Silesia, had a long history as one of the Landwehr or volunteer units, raised to fight Napoleon in 1813, however the reference J R 23 seems to relate to a re-enactment society more than any other details, which is confusing, a pal of mine has a complete list of all regiments on all sides that fought in ww1, i will pass the details over to him as he is very clued up on ww1 history, will pm you later today if he finds anything, dave
    Thank you,that would be great.I know I also tryed to find some info but no luck.Also I do not know if you saw that but one strap say JR23 and the other one say JR4.Thank you for your help again.
    Chris

?

Noticed another unusual thing asbout this strap , marked with 2 different rgt numbers, J.R.23 and J.R.4 ???? didnt read your other post , yes strange, will try that one as well

?

Chris , i think i have worked out part of this, above the no/60 there is another date i believe it says 1945, very hard to see clearly but it makes sense that this was originally 1916 issued, restamped with jr4 and used during ww2, i think that jr4 can refer to any number of regiments and SS infanterie there is also a B II which i think has been over stamped across the original jr23 markings, have a look and see what you think

Chris , i think i have worked out part of this, above the no/60 there is another date i believe it says 1945, very hard to see clearly but it makes sense that this was originally 1916 issued, restamped with jr4 and used during ww2, i think that jr4 can refer to any number of regiments and SS infanterie there is also a B II which i think has been over stamped across the original jr23 markings, have a look and see what you think
    I just look at it,the marking that look like 1945 is not it is 1916.About the BA II I just look at It and totaly agree with you.So what you are telling me is they are ww1 straps but the regiment markings are from ww2 I did not even think about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast