Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Trench Art Crucifix

Article about: This item was purchased at a porch sale several years ago. Has a Gott Mit Uns buckle face. Was this field made? I believe I read somewhere that these were made in Pow camps in France. Any in

?

Default WW1 Trench Art Crucifix

This item was purchased at a porch sale several years ago. Has a Gott Mit Uns buckle face. Was this field made? I believe I read somewhere that these were made in Pow camps in France. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Trench Art  Crucifix   WW1 Trench Art  Crucifix  

WW1 Trench Art  Crucifix   WW1 Trench Art  Crucifix  

WW1 Trench Art  Crucifix  

?

I think trench art was made by civilians behind the lines and sold as souvenirs during and after the war as well as being made by POW’s. No doubt the odd soldier who wasn't a POW may have produced a few bits and pieces too if he had the chance and the time.

I have a letter opener made by my wife’s grandfather, he made it during his time spent in a POW camp, but I wonder if typical German trench art was made after the armistice when prisoners had easy access to brass when clearing the battlefields.

Tony

I would pretty much agree with Tony.

It is a nice item and the belt buckle works very well in this context.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

An interesting and quite creative piece.

?

Thanks for the post, I had a match holder with my grandfather had brought back with the Gott Mitt Uns emblem & wonder if this was tourist market made. Unfortunately this & a very nice lobster tail pickelhaube & assorted medals he brought back, disappeared when we were robbed. He fought in Meuse Argonne offensive of 1918. John