Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 uboat bell ??

Article about: any info welcome

Default ww1 uboat bell ??

any info welcomeww1 uboat bell ??

never heard of a U-Boat having a bell before.

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    never heard of a U-Boat having a bell before.
    Me neither, plus UC15 disappeared in November 1916.

Nice looking German cow bell. I have one of those too, except that I had mine engraved with the name of the sail boat I owned for 30 years, PONCA. And there is the problem that U-boats were not issued ship's bells, at least none were mounted on board in-so-far as I know. And UC-15 was listed verschollen, missing and presumed loss in November 1916. She departed Constantinople on 13 November to lay mines off the mouth of the Sulina River and never returned. Not a trace. Every U-Boat lost in WWI is detailed in my book, Verschollen: World War I U-Boat Losses, Naval Institute Press, 2002. Below is the cow bell I bought and had engraved in Berlin in 1969. Dwight
    ww1 uboat bell ??

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Nice looking German cow bell. I have one of those too, except that I had mine engraved with the name of the sail boat I owned for 30 years, PONCA. And there is the problem that U-boats were not issued ship's bells, at least none were mounted on board in-so-far as I know. And UC-15 was listed verschollen, missing and presumed loss in November 1916. She departed Constantinople on 13 November to lay mines off the mouth of the Sulina River and never returned. Not a trace. Every U-Boat lost in WWI is detailed in my book, Verschollen: World War I U-Boat Losses, Naval Institute Press, 2002. Below is the cow bell I bought and had engraved in Berlin in 1969. Dwight
    ww1 uboat bell ??
    If it was of a U-Boat would it have been a "Milch Cow"......???

ww1 uboat bell ??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hmmmmmm. Well Ned maybe, but more likely, Milchkuh. Good call though. And armed they way she is I suspect that if the opportunity ever arose the command to ram would be "Stand by to Gore!" Frightening. The Best Dwight