Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross

Article about: Posting this Ludwig Cross to find out if anyone has or seen another with the same unfinished look. Normally these medals are found in blackened bronze. This one came with a new ribbon. It ma

Default WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross

Posting this Ludwig Cross to find out if anyone has or seen another
    with the same unfinished look. Normally these medals are found in
    blackened bronze. This one came with a new ribbon.

It may be possible that it was 'extra stock' after awards of this cross
    had ceased, and the process of 'blackening' was just never completed.

It has "7 - 1 - 1916" on the reverse..........

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-16-2010 at 11:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross

Steve, i have re entered the post i made on the Imperial EK's thread, as i feel it is more apprpriate here, sorry to be repetative !.... ' What I know about this award.....King Ludwig Cross, a decoration for merit on the home front, founded on 7th of January 1916, and awarded to be ' a commerative sign and recognition of thanks for those persons who during the war have performed with particular merit for the Army or for the general welfare of the homeland through official and voluntary activities '. The cross was originally cast in the Royal Bavarian mint in Munich, and was originally of blackened Iron. As the war progressed and shortages began to bite, Zinc was substituted, also examples were made of darkened/blackened Bronze. It is quite possible that yours has either been polished or lost its dark/black finish. The cross was awarded between 1916 to 1918, the Royal Kingdom of Bavaria was dissolved in 1919, along with all awards and decorations belonging to that former Kingdom '.

Your Ludwig Cross doesnt look like a fake, it looks too well made (although i am little concerned over the lack of detail on the profile, hair/beard, although it might be my eyes !), just like the blackened version, ive never seen one in that finish, it could be an interwar jewellers version/replacement, lets see if any other member can through sme light on it.

Steve, heres a closeup, study the facial features especially the beard/ hair......let me know what you think, as you will be able to see a lot more detail than the camera....also there appears to be two marks on the outer rim, are they damage marks or die flaws ?
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross 

It does appear to be very well made.

Super close-up it has the look of being polished as there is a lack of detail
    to the high spots, wouldn't you say?

Funny though, there is no trace of patination, not even near the loop/'ouse'/ring.
    The original finishes, I thought, were done by a heat treatment process
    similar to gun bluing with certain chemicals...................

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Bavarian Ludwig Cross  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-16-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Steve, that's a good close-up, after close study, i feel that the detail just isnt there...look at the ear, the rim, we may be looking at a well made copy....but hey, lets see if any one else has any ideas. I dont want to condem without other input.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Steve, that's a good close-up, after close study, i feel that the detail just isnt there...look at the ear, the rim, we may be looking at a well made copy....but hey, lets see if any one else has any ideas. I dont want to condem without other input.

Agreed it is very well made. I know that certain Imperial awards
    were made in the period of the TR, so it may be that this is
    of that era. I got it a few years ago from a now deceased
    dealer in Ontario, Canada.
    Regards,

Steve.