Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WWI German Battle Flag Fake?

Article about: Hi guys, I am looking for a nice WWI German flag to purchase. What do you think of this one? The material looks correct to me but some of the lines don't appear straight and the iron cross a

Very helpful. Thank you guys. I had a bad gut feeling about it, but wasn't sure why. Glad you guys could help lead me in the right direction.

I was thinking about this flag and the history is still neat. I would classify it as a WWII flag, during the rise of nationalism. Made to inspire "memories of former greatness". I am looking for a period WWI flag at this time, but I wouldn't count this as a fake - just a flag with a different story.

I don't believe that is a 100 year old flag. The condition and coloration of the material look far too new. Have a look at another known century old flag to compare.
    Secondly i don't like the "overspray" black die. This type of flag would have been hand screen printed with a silk frame and rubber squegee pulling across the black die. I know the process well having done it on T-Shirts. The "overspray' black I see on the flag was not caused by 100 year old screen printing technique. That actually looks to be caused by a spray gun onto the screen frame where the frame has been lifted a little early. My feeling it's post 1960's.

Hello,

In my opinion, the flag that started this thread is WW2 era, or possibly newer made (post-WW2 made).

I say this because of the lack of colors and detail on the Sceptor and the Orb devices held in the claws of the eagle.

I also say this because the maker label shown on the Halyard of this flag made flags well after WW2, and this type of flag by this maker has been discussed several times over on the WAF Forum.

I'll post a somewhat related photo to show the consensus on WAF forum about what WW1 and Pre-WW2 era produced Imperial Battle Flags should look like. Notice the colors and details on the Orb and the Sceptor in the claws of the eagle. They are much, much more detailed and colorful than on this nice looking flag that started this thread.

Best Regards,

Alan

WWI German Battle Flag Fake?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3