Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog

Article about: Just came across my first German WWI bayonet. Please view these pictures, ask questions, and give me your feedback. My camera is not good at close ups so I will try to explain what some are.

a great set and great bike.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog
    P
    Many

Do you think these 3 items, Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog are all original and go together?

?

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the different markings mean?
    "55" stamped on scabbard in two place
    "16" stamped on blade back, I assume it is year of production.
    "83" stamped on catch side that protrudes when depressed to release bayo from rifle.
    "Ln.K./N." Stamping on back of leather frog
    Any idea when and how many of these "saw backs" were ground down?

William
    Well the 16 on the spine is the production date. The 1920 means that it is a Weimar reissue.
    Im sure one of the experts will be along soon to answer the other questions

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Well the 16 on the spine is the production date. The 1920 means that it is a Weimar reissue.
    Im sure one of the experts will be along soon to answer the other questions

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil, I figured the "16" was year of make and Chopperman directed me to a site that told of the "1920" stamping. I sure appreciate everyone's help.

?

A nice example. The bayonet's date is indicated by the "16" under cypher (W ? "W" indicates Wilhelm of Prussia)

The bayonet has had the sawback removed as indicated by Chopperman in Post #4. This work was done starting in 1917.

The "1920" marking indicates that the bayonet was used during the post - war Weimar era and likely later as well. See the post "The 1920 Property Mark - Disarming of the People Act" here:

The 1920 Property Mark - Disarming of the People Act

During this period, the majority of bayonets in use were blued rather than left bright as used during the pre-1919 Imperial era. Yours seems to have this standard blue finish.

The frog is a post 1933 frog, also indicative of post WW1 use. It is a standard frog made for the Sg84/98 bayonet with shorter and narrower blade but the Sg98/05 bayonet can be fitted if sufficient effort is made. It is not unusual to see a WW2 era used 98/05 scabbard in the smaller frog.

As far as the number of the various models of sawback bayonets had the saw teeth removed? There are no solid numbers know, sufficient to say that if it was issued to front line troops, the teeth were ground off. There should be an inspector's mark at the hilt end of the removal to show that it was properly done according to regulation.

?

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    Do you think these 3 items, Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog are all original and go together?
    Yes, for the Weimar and post-1933 Nazi era.

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    A nice example. The bayonet's date is indicated by the "16" under cypher (W ? "W" indicates Wilhelm of Prussia)

The bayonet has had the sawback removed as indicated by Chopperman in Post #4. This work was done starting in 1917.

The "1920" marking indicates that the bayonet was used during the post - war Weimar era and likely later as well. See the post "The 1920 Property Mark - Disarming of the People Act" here:

The 1920 Property Mark - Disarming of the People Act

During this period, the majority of bayonets in use were blued rather than left bright as used during the pre-1919 Imperial era. Yours seems to have this standard blue finish.

The frog is a post 1933 frog, also indicative of post WW1 use. It is a standard frog made for the Sg84/98 bayonet with shorter and narrower blade but the Sg98/05 bayonet can be fitted if sufficient effort is made. It is not unusual to see a WW2 era used 98/05 scabbard in the smaller frog.

As far as the number of the various models of sawback bayonets had the saw teeth removed? There are no solid numbers know, sufficient to say that if it was issued to front line troops, the teeth were ground off. There should be an inspector's mark at the hilt end of the removal to show that it was properly done according to regulation.
    Thank You USNV5 for this valuable information.

William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2