Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque

Article about: You may be able to remove the epoxy without damaging the bronze- there are a number of products that dissolve epoxy, although you always have to check the directions to ensure they won't dam

Arrow WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque

It has been a while since I posted, so I thought that I would share this piece - direct from Germany through a friend. I believe it to be a depiction of "Germania" in mourning. The piece is in bronze, measures 11 in. x 19 in. It weighs approximately 20 lbs.

Of interest is the damage to the face of the piece; maybe it is just my active imagination working overtime, but it looks like a bullet strike. Your thoughts? I am considering removing the modern epoxy if I can do so without altering or damaging the piece further.

As you can see from the reverse shots, it was once mounted on some type of base. Since there is no script or text on this piece, I believe it was once part of a larger memorial...perhaps a section of a paneled base?

What do you guys think...private grave marker or public memorial?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque   WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque

Some details of the casting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque   WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Some detailed shots of the damage that I believe to be from a projectile.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lastly, some details of the reverse.

WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Look like it came from a ww1 German cemetery.

Steve.......nice plaque, if a little morbid, how do you know it is from WW1 ? and how do you know it is "Germania" ?....I was under the impression she was always depicted in similiar garb as our "Brittania" with helmet/breastplate/sword, as on denkmal "Wacht-am-Rhine", in the Niederwald near Rudesheim......sorry to be a little negative.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque 

this is from a ww1 German cemetery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI German Memorial Bronze Plaque  

Quote by oradour View Post
    Steve.......nice plaque, if a little morbid, how do you know it is from WW1 ? and how do you know it is "Germania" ?....I was under the impression she was always depicted in similiar garb as our "Brittania" with helmet/breastplate/sword, as on denkmal "Wacht-am-Rhine", in the Niederwald near Rudesheim......sorry to be a little negative.....
    I guess I could be wrong on this being Germania. As far as it being from WWI, my source specializes in the WWI area and obtains many of these items from family's and some governmental entities as well when they are removed. I understand that after 50 years, personal grave markers are removed by the graves commission, and an attempt to return the plaques to the family is made. If no living relatives can be found or the items are not wanted - they are melted down. The look of the piece with the wreath resembles many monuments/memorials that I have seen from WWI. But that is just my thought...
    Last edited by Steven M; 08-05-2010 at 04:29 AM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is a photo I found on the net depicting a victorious memorial In Germany. Note the wreaths of victory held high! In the depiction on my plaque, the wreath of victory being in the low position (along with the head in hand) is a very powerful visual representation of defeat...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very nice and interesting piece Steve , it diffinitely looks like some form of projectile has it at some stage , i like it , good score my friend , cheers Raymond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast