Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Default WWI German Veteran’s Watch Fob with small dagger.

Greetings all,

Ok, I know this is not a Trench Knife (heck, it’s barely even a knife), but it was too interesting not too share. How often do you get an EK and a blade’s combo on a piece of men’s jewelry? This is as comes as no surprise, my smallest German knife. This watch fob was likely a post-WWI private purchase piece marketed towards First World War’s Veterans. It comes with a nifty 32mm dagger, which could perform as a pipe bowl’s cleaner (it’s quite dull) if desired. The scabbard has a brass wash over its underlying steel.

Don’t worry, next month we’ll return to Trench Knives.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

What an oddity Lance. Actually the scabbard looks nicer than the mini dagger.

That's a great little item.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default Personalized Austro-Hungarian Model 1917 Sturmmesser originally manufactured by Resicka.

Greetings all,

This month, a heavily modified 205mm bladed Model 1917 Sturmmesser originally manufactured by Resicka (note the “R” on the ricasso). This standard Model 1917 Trench Knife blade’s profile has been significantly reshaped and as such, now fits smartly into an Austrian M95 Bayonet’s scabbard (note too, the heart shaped scabbard’s stud… a nice little touch). The knife’s original wooden handles have been replaced by cast aluminum ones, which have been decoratively punched/stippled (one side bears the owner’s first name, last initial, & the date of 1917). The handles also possess inlaid copper strips (likely harvested from an expended artillery shell’s driving band). A custom copper cross guard/quillion has been fitted and lastly, a fixed copper knot’s/troddel’s loop has been added to the pommel. There is a notably smaller than usual muzzle ring on the top of the cross guard; it is purely decorative in nature (nor is there a mortised slot on the top handle) as this knife will not fix onto an actual rifle.

Due to the specific profile of this modified sturmmesser (i.e. quillion & knot’s/troddel’s loop), we may conclude it was carried by an Austro-Hungarian Noncommissioned Officer; more as a symbol/mark of status of their rank/position than of the modified knife’s increased value as a close-quarter’s fighting implement. Not all junior leaders could afford to purchase factory manufactured blades made to exacting regulatory standards. For those of limited means, there were “local” options where craftsmen nearer to the fighting-front could for a humbler price; either convert or salvage standard issued knives/bayonets and transform them into something a bit flashier. Think of it not as a genuine Harley Davidson model, but more of a “Harley Compatible” one. While the craftsmanship of this month’s example is by no means exemplary; it’s is not a dumpster-fire either.

For those who choose to collect Austro-Hungarian Model 1917 Sturmmessers’ variants, one of the most enjoyable aspects of collecting them are obtaining the versions, which have been period modified/altered. These modifications when done with a modicum of skill, may take the “ho-hum” base model M1917 Sturmmesser and morph it into trench art. Unfortunately, I do not possess a contemporary image of a similar knife being worn to accompany this month’s post.

Well, I’ll see all of you again during next month’s post. In the meantime, happy hunting in your collecting and blue skies in all your journeys.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click on the image to enlarge.

Default Miniature Imperial Dress Bayonet with Scabbard: a letter opener.

Greetings all,

Been on the road, so I do apologize for my later than usual posting. This month, a miniature Imperial dress bayonet letter opener with a blade’s length of 142mm. Unfortunately, my example no longer possesses its original case:-( The scanned images showing the accompanying case come from LTC (RET) Thomas M. Johnson’s Collecting the Edged Weapons of Imperial Germany Volume I (1988) pages 264 & 265. In its day, this miniature would have been intended as a decorative letter opener.

No doubt too, many were sold after the war to Doughboys looking for a souvenir hence the following images of Occupation era American Soldiers viewing and posing with various post-war German souvenirs. Likely, this letter opener came back to the USA as a post-war souvenir brought back by an American Soldier.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click images to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Nice example Lance. I have one almost identical, though without imperial marks on scabbard. A lot of collectors assume they are all "Third Reich Salesman's Samples", an idea probably dreamed up by a dealer who didn't know what it was. But I've seen others with the blade engraved with dates from the WW1 era. Some have wood grips, others are bakelite. I have seen one with a scabbard sticker saying "souvenir of Solingen". So in all probability they existed before WW1, got a boost from the post war souvenir market and probably were made into the 1930's as a trade show souvenir for sale or giveaway, but not necessarily by Salesmen.

Lance, I also have one with the scabbard decoration. It gets lots of use opening the monthly bills.

Default Sturmmesser M.17 made by Heinr. Zelinka (of) Wien.

Greetings all,

This month, an Austro-Hungarian Sturmmesser M.17 manufactured by Heinr Zelinka (of) Wien (Vienna). This example’s blade is 211mm in length and has the Austrian Eagle’s Proof/Acceptance mark on the underside of the crosspiece (inset: circled in black).

The scale model of the Škoda 305mm M.11 Mörser (on its original granite base) was a gift for those individuals donating funds (in larger amounts) to finance the Austro-Hungarian war effort (i.e. war bonds).

Well, I do look forward to what treasures this next month may bring. As always my friends, Happy Hunting!

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

Default Ersatz Bayonet #1 (a.k.a. EB 1, Crank Handle, DEMAG Bayonet) in contemporary images.

Greetings all,

Been too busy to get around to photograph a knife for this month:-( However, as a consolation prize, I offer you the largest online posting of contemporary images of EB #1s being worn. Many thanks to the individual posters of these collected images. They don’t seem so rare when you view so many being worn;-)

Here’s to being less busy this month!

Njoy,

V/r Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

?

Thank You Lance for those pic's.

I have a 1918 Erfurt Kar98a and I have been told that the crank handle bayonet would be the correct choice for this rifle, but I have never seen a pic of them being used.
    I was about to open a thread about which bayo would be correct and then you posted this.

Awesome photo's
    Thank Again

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast