Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WWI Luneschloss Sawback Bayonet at a yard sale

Article about: Hi all, This bayonet I got at a yard sale locally this past weekend. Was looking for information help if anyone is interested to assist me. I took many photos, hoping someone could tell me w

?

i LOVE the smell of HOPPES#9. I put a dab behind my ears in the morning to keep me smelling Gun fresh..
    Hoppes#9 solvent is for removing copper fouling and you can't go wrong with their products so as far as oil they are great.
    Now serialins0mniac I start off using the minimal amount of removal. One step at a time, to see where it is taking me. Because once its gone you will not get it back and what is done is irreversible. Say removing 100 + years of patina. Now if you just want the rust any oil will do. Just wipe and and let it set a day and come back and wipe it clean. You could use WD40. But this product is hydrogenated oil and when it dries will leave a residue. This was found out while preserving jet engines for long term storage and has since been stopped. So it could be used to clean just not long term storage treatment.

With a beauty like you have you don't want to have it shining like it just came out of the factory. To me just get the rust issues stopped and keep it oiled and cleaned. It makes for a great day when you sit around every year and have a Blade appreciation day and take care and clean all your babies. I got a foot locker full so its a long day of "How you been cuties , let me just wipe you down!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Luneschloss Sawback Bayonet at a yard sale
    P
    Many

Lol, Phil - "Gun Fresh"

This bayonet is an awesome buy for only $40.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-29-2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Spelling.....
    Regards,

Steve.

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the Laugh Phil !

And I had you figured as an Old Spice kinda guy .

I agree with Phil. Sometimes less is more.
    A little patina gives the bayo a sense of age and history.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Thanks for the Laugh Phil !

And I had you figured as an Old Spice kinda guy .
    If they made that into a deodorant I would buy it in a heart beat..
    And to explain my use of diesel as a cleaning agent. It is refined oil. We use it at work to remove the grease and grime on a Chain(15 foot Harley Davidson made chain) that is used to rotate our precision approach radar on the air field here at MCAS Yuma to the in use runway. We have used a lot of different degreaser/rust removal chemical and have found that diesel is the least aggressive agent we could use that did not damage the chain drive chain. This is something that has been used for that purpose for over 20 years(before my time) and I can attest it works great for removing baked on Grease and grime. Yuma Temps are scorching hot 121F at our highest, So you can imagine when I say baked on you know what I mean and the diesel has had no effect on the chain with no showable wear. Just need to clean and oil/grease the chain to inhibit corrosion, after a wipe down.

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

I will have to try that method on a couple old bayonets I have , that need some love .
    The Soviets in WWII would mix diesel with their gun oil to keep it's viscosity in extreme cold .

?

Give it a shot Chris. We soak it for a day or so. Wipe it down and then use an air compressor to dry it out. Then lube it up and put it back on. I was amazed at the result and have become a true believer. There is no signs like other more aggressive agents that have been used. It looks like a clean chain with no rust or grime but not a polished chain.
    And just as any Mfg warning states, I'll add this.
    DO NOT GET IT ON WOOD, PLASTIC, LEATHER OR PAINTED SURFACES.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3