Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWI memorial sign!!!!

Article about: donkihotis7, you have paid a reasonable price for the plaque, I would of paid that...Menden (Sauerland) is part of Westphalia, and as such came under the juristiction of Army Corps VII with

Default Re: WWI memorial sign!!!!

donkihotis7, you have paid a reasonable price for the plaque, I would of paid that...Menden (Sauerland) is part of Westphalia, and as such came under the juristiction of Army Corps VII with its HQ at Munster, this Army Corps comprised of two Divisions, the 13th and the 14th, each Division comprising of four Regiments each. The 14th Division recruited mainly from the Koln/Wesel area, but the 13th Division recruitment area is closest to Menden. This Division had the Infantry Regiments numbers 13,15,55 and 158. Therefore these three men could of been members of one of these Regiments.....or other arm of service Regiments attached to this Division (Artillery/Pioneers/Jager etc etc) this of course is pure supposition, as we have little to go on, but interesting none the less ! Here is some interesting information, Sauerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menden_(Sauerland) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Di...(German_Empire) on these last two pages, click on the name "did you mean" and it will take you to the appropriate page ! Hope this helps or at the very least fires the imagination !
    Prost ! Steve.

Wow, thanks Steve. I'll check them out
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

At last after 2 months and some adventure with dispute case in paypal the plaque arrived. It's quite heavy. I didn't expect it to weight that much. It's 5 kilos. I took some pictures in the afternoon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI memorial sign!!!!   WWI memorial sign!!!!  

WWI memorial sign!!!!   WWI memorial sign!!!!  

Your photographics provide a better than first shown scenario, it is IMO, a stunning piece ! well worth the trouble you isinuate it has been, to get it to your home....worthy of further research and it needs to be displayed in a prominant position in your display area, well done on a terrific find. It looks to be a generic piece that would of be customised upon ordering, and the name/names inserted on a standard background plaque by the supplier.
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    It looks to be a generic piece that would of be customised upon ordering, and the name/names inserted on a standard background plaque by the supplier.
    Exactly Steve. I realized the same thing the moment i inspected it with my own hands. From the seller's pictures i thought it was one piece, customized in full.

I will place it in the attic, were my small museum is being built. Today i finished the assembly of the 2 furniture, which i'm using to display most of the items. Tomorrow i'm going to start hanging frames of awards and their docs on the wall and i'll mount this plaque too. I hope to finish soon in order to start posting pics of the whole collection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2