Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Muster Roll for the U-Deutschland

Article about: I need help with one entry on this page, #28. This is from the Muster Roll of the German cargo submarine Deutschland for her June-July 1916 Atlantic crossing to Baltimore. Number 28 is a civ

Default WWI Muster Roll for the U-Deutschland

I need help with one entry on this page, #28. This is from the Muster Roll of the German cargo submarine Deutschland for her June-July 1916 Atlantic crossing to Baltimore. Number 28 is a civilian, a Krupp engineer named Wilhelm Gotthold Prusse. My interest is in the second column: Geburtsort und Geburtsdatum. I need to know where he was born and I cannot make this out because the stamp partially obscures what is written there. I am hoping that one of you will recognize enough of what is visible to come up with the probable birthplace.
    WWI Muster Roll for the U-Deutschland

For those who are interested, Prusse remained in Baltimore when the Deutschland returned to Germany in August 1916. In November he was in New London, Connecticut to fulfill his duties as the boat's load master. When the Deutschland made her second return trip to Germany, Prusse remained behind to perform the job of load master for the expected the Bremen and other cargo U-boats, which did not happen. After the US declared war on Germany on 6 April 1917, Prusse remained in Baltimore where the Bureau of Investigation, the forerunner of the FBI, arrested him for being in a restricted are of the waterfront. I won't go into the lengthy details, but the arrest was wholly groundless, The B of I turned him over to the Baltimore Police for holding on an indefinite Federal hold. On 18 September 1917 Prusse was found hanged and dead in his cell, he left no note. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Number 28 is a civilian, a Krupp engineer named Wilhelm Gotthold Prusse. My interest is in the second column: Geburtsort und Geburtsdatum. I need to know where he was born and I cannot make this out because the stamp partially obscures what is written there. I am hoping that one of you will recognize enough of what is visible to come up with the probable birthplace.
    It says "Gr. Peiskerau", short for "Groß-Peiskerau". This is a village in Silesia, now Polish and known as Piskorzów.

Forschungsgruppe Ohlau: Gro Peiskerau (=Alt Peiskerau) Kreis Ohlau
    Piskorzów - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HPL: Thanks for that information. I was absolutely certain that you would be able to provide the answer. Thanks a million. Dwight