Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Sawback Bayonet

Article about: Hi, First post here. I was doing some research on a WWI Sawback Bayonet for Hahns Military Surplus when I found this site. (Nice site BTW) Anyway, I was hoping someone here might be able to

Ballenxj
    ?

Default WWI Sawback Bayonet

Hi, First post here. I was doing some research on a WWI Sawback Bayonet for Hahns Military Surplus when I found this site. (Nice site BTW)
    Anyway, I was hoping someone here might be able to shed more light on this bayonet, see photos.
    -Bruce

2. # ADS

Ballenxj
    ?

Default Re: WWI Sawback Bayonet

One more photo showing over all appearance.
    Any idea's of value or production would be helpful.

This look s like a modified WW2 K98k bayonet to me..

?

A lot of times, after World War II, allied troops would take these home as prizes, and add a serrated edge and use them as a utility knife. Surprisingly, it's not that uncommon to see old bayonets like this. I know that they are not worth as much as a pristine bayonet, but depending on when the edge was added, they can be worth quite a bit.

Matthew

Not WW2 conversion but WW1 original.

Seitengewehr 84-98 neue Art mit Sage to give it the official designation.

The saw back was factory made. Roughly 6% of German bayonets were made with sawbacks - for use as a tool not for inflicting more unpleasant wounds.

This model was introduced in 1915 to provide a short bayonet for the cavalry, field artillery and technical troops.

It was also issued to the infantry as the exisiting longer bayonets were not useful for trench fighting.

This design of bayonet became the standard German model of WW2.

Reasonably rare I think but I'll leave any comments on price to someone else as I'm a little out of touch.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richie

BTW - good looking bayonet

just shown the pic to my dad , he says its very like his , he has had it that long he said he paid £1.30 for it !!!!!(which was a lot in those days)

Gentlemen..Richie B is absolutly correct, SG 98/05 na, with what looks like an Imperial acceptance mark (on top spine) of 1901, if my eyes are right ! the ''na'' designation stands for ''neur art'' or ''new pattern'', having a steel plate added to protect the wooden handle when the rifle was fired (which was especially severe with the carbine model)....It appears to be regimentaly marked, however this one was not easy to decipher, IMO it looks like ''1.F.110 A'' 1st Fuhrparkkolonne, 110th waffen, Artillerie'' in other words ''1st transport pool column, 110th weapon, attached to Artillery''. Hope this helps.

Very nice German WW1 84/98II Saw tooth Bayonet.....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Very interesting indeed! And a very nice Bayonet by the way!

Ballenxj
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Absolutely! Thanks to everyone for their input.
    I patiently await more if it is out there.
    -Bruce