Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Swiss bread bag ?

Article about: Greetings, I have a Swedish "bike-bread bag". I'm not sure if this one is from the late 1800's (end of Vetterli era) or if this is the WWI era Swiss bag. It is different than the m

Default WWI Swiss bread bag ?

Greetings,

I have a Swedish "bike-bread bag". I'm not sure if this one is from the late 1800's (end of Vetterli era) or if this is the WWI era Swiss bag.

It is different than the most common ones you find. It still has the heavy once black leather backing and the maker: J. Obrecht Sattler, Zurich with the number 14 on the top of the bag punched in the leather.

It has the tan color webbing shoulder strap. I could not find out what the "K" under the Swiss gross stands for on the leather loop attachment to the bike.

Thank you.
    Skip

WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?
    Last edited by skippyroo1; 09-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Swiss bread bag ?
    P
    Many

?

Hello
    Nice bag the 'K' maybe for komission similar to German Imperial gear ie: government contract.

Eric
    ps I'd love a picture of the small wire hook if you have time.

Greetings Eric, thank you for taking a look at this bag. I made some photos for you of all of the metal hooks and eyes and one from inside the bag. There are no other markings that I can see besides the ones I had mentioned. Do you have any idea to with era this belongs to.

WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?WWI Swiss bread bag ?
    Last edited by skippyroo1; 09-26-2013 at 04:44 PM.

?

Thank you for the pictures sorry I can't help try this site its excellent.

The Swiss Rifles Message Board

Regards
    Eric

thanks will do

It is most definitely not Imperial German...........But Swiss IMO !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Correct! The cartouche with the Swiss Cross and the letter "K" is an inspectors acceptance mark indicating that the item was accepted as fit for service, the "K" represents the inspector, either his initial or a letter representing him, nothing more, we will likely not be able to find out much more than that.

It is a nice - and scarce - item though.

Thank you all for your comments, yes, is not Imperial German. Switzerland was neutral during WWI. That the "K" represents an inspector is quite interesting. The question still remains open if this bag is from the end of the later 1800 (end of Vetterli era) of if this an early WWI model.

?

It may be an earlier pattern but was made by Sattler J. Obrecht of Zurich in 1914 for the Swiss Army - not the Swedish Army - so dates to the beginning of WW1 and probably saw use during the first World War when the entire Swiss army did see active service guarding the Swiss boarders. Remember, there were incursions that led to causalities and prisoners being taken both by the Swiss and opposition forces.

Thank you USNV5, I think with you statement it is now nailed down. I was not sure if the 14 was a year, size or just a run number.

Skip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast