Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

XIV. Armee-Korps metal signs

Article about: I came across 3 metal signs that appear to represent the XIV. Armee-Korps. They look to be hand painted. These are out of my normal area of collecting, any help is appreciated.

Default XIV. Armee-Korps metal signs

I came across 3 metal signs that appear to represent the XIV. Armee-Korps. They look to be hand painted.

These are out of my normal area of collecting, any help is appreciated. XIV. Armee-Korps metal signsXIV. Armee-Korps metal signsXIV. Armee-Korps metal signs

I also picked up a large EK that reminds me of a grave marker with them.XIV. Armee-Korps metal signs

A fellow collector said it may stand for "12 Minenwerfer Kompagnie" and be a trench Marker?
    Thanks again

I agree hand painted, but I see no patina at all, no sign of wear or age at all. Something like this could be reproduced with ease by any good art student.

I agree with Anderson. The metal sheet on which the eagles are painted, because of their appearance, is impossible to be 100 years old. Even the holes seem very recent.
    Anyway, as a replica or reproduction can be very nice hanging on the wall of your particular imperial corner.

Santi.

Thank you both!

Hello,

They look to be modern era made copies of the WWI Prussian Railway plaque that was mounted on box cars and locomotives.

Here's some info on the original "K.P.E.V." plaques, and a photo of an original example:

They are a rectangular plaque with cut off corners, made out of tinned steel, that has had an applied decal of the Prussian Imperial eagle, the royal cypher and the letters K.P.E.V.. The decal has been protected with a transparent lacquer (not unlike that used on WWII German helmet decals) and this has crackled with age. There are 4 holes to screw the plaque to the waggon. The reverse is painted in rust red.

The "K.P.E.V." letters represent the ‘Royal Prussian Railway Administration’ (Königlich Preußische Eisenbahn-Verwaltung), although it is sometimes mistaken for Prussian State Railways (Preußische Staatseisenbahn). The plaques were originally circular and cast of bronze, but economy measures during WWI meant that bronze was no longer available, except for the war effort.

Size: 26 x 21 cm (10 ¼ x 8 ¼ inches)
    Weight: 829 g

Best Regards,

Alan

XIV. Armee-Korps metal signs