Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF

Article about: A pick up today and almost what I wanted on my wish list, a Great war trio to the 1st or 2nd BN RWF, only failing in not being a Mons star trio as this is a 14-25 star trio. Pretty close and

Default 17672 Fusilier Breese Jones 1st Bn RWF

A pick up today and almost what I wanted on my wish list, a Great war trio to the 1st or 2nd BN RWF, only failing in not being a Mons star trio as this is a 14-25 star trio. Pretty close and as the Mons trio would be £150 more than this group cost I'll not complain. It comes with some copy docs, MIC and SWB roll but also comes with an unsupported written history that was supplied to the seller by a previous owner which is shown on one of the scans below. At the moment that is the only evidence that he was 1st Bn RWF which hopefully is all true and along with his being shot in the arm with them in 1915. Too late in the day here to provide pics of the medal but the written history and the MIC & SWB roll are shown. Sadly he it has horrible modern copy ribbons on it, as does another WWI Star I bought today, jeez they are awful!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF   17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF  

Last edited by Jerry B; 01-03-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

well done Jerry.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    well done Jerry.
    Thanks Harry.

His name should be spelled with a S not a Z, doh!

The 1st Bn RWf wounded register does have him listed so he was 1st Bn which was the main thing I wanted confirmation of. 1st Bn medal groups are not easy to find so very pleased to get this even if it is not a Mons star trio.
    Regards,

Jerry

Some poor pics of the trio until I can take some better ones tomorrow in daylight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF   17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF  

17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF   17672 Fusilier Breeze Jones 1st Bn RWF  

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, very nice buy!

I was intrigued by his first name: never heard of it before. Just had a quick shufti on Ancestry thinking he would be easy to find. Seems not! The name is often used as a middle name and people are still using it as recently as 1977 as first names.

Two potential candidates are on the 1911 Wales Census, but only using it as middle names. But place of birth does not fit.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade, an odd name indeed and you would think that might lift him above the mass of Jones you will find. I did expect he would be on the 1911 census for Hengoed as the previous owner seemed certain he was born there.

A good group and not to expensive compared to many for the unit for a trio and for the 1st Bn and a known history of being shot in action. I'll download the 1st Bn war diary at some stage and see if I can work out where they were at the time.
    Regards,

Jerry

He was wounded at the battle of Loos, on the first day of what was known at the time as the big push as part of 22nd briagde, 7th Div. The Bn lost 422 men during the duration of the battle.

The Battle of Loos 1915

The right-hand 7th Division found that the gas cloud generally moved well in this sector, but local wind variations meant that not all cylinders were turned on here. Many men struggled to breathe in their gas helmets as they advanced into the cloud and removed them, consequently suffering from gas themselves. Heavy losses were incurred by the lead units of 20th Brigade in No Man's Land from German shelling, which had been opened up to try to dispel the gas and smoke cloud. The 8/Devonshire suffered heavy machine-gun casualties, the wire in front of their sector having been only partially cleared. However, the 2/Gordon Highlanders fared better and soon pushed past the German front line towards Gun Trench and Hulluch. On 22nd Brigade front, as the infantry moved ahead of the gas they were cut down in swathes, with the 1/South Staffordshire and 2/Royal Warwicks losing some 70% of their strength before they reached the German positions. However, men continued to press forward and by 7.30am the German support line had been captured. At 8.05am, two batteries of RFA were ordered up closed behind the original front, near Notre-Dame de la Consolation - a wayside shrine. They were firing by 9.00am. By 8.45am the leading men were crossing the Lens Road, just to the South of the Vermelles-Hulluch road. There they caused much loss and disruption to German reinforcements moving into Cite St Elie. The support battalions of 20th Brigade, the 1/6/Gordon Highlanders and the 2/Border, came up with little loss, and helped launch an attack but this was halted by heavy fire. Parties pushed forward into the northern end of Gun Trench. Further artillery units were ordered to move up. T Battery RHA galloped up the Vermelles road into the former No Man's Land. By 9.30am, now reinforced by 2/Queens, the men of 22nd Brigade had captured the Hulluch Quarries, with patrols on the edge of Cite St Elie itself. Further advance was found to be impossible without further support, and the positions captured thus far at the Quarries were consolidated. 21st Brigade moved up from reserve in Vermelles, and split into two sets of two battalions each ordered to advance through the positions gained so far. They were also halted in and around Gun Trench and the Quarries, unable to penetrate uncut wire in front of Hulluch under fire from Cite St Elie. Divisional artillery was ordered to shell the latter and its defences until 4.00pm.

Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, very nice buy!

I was intrigued by his first name: never heard of it before. Just had a quick shufti on Ancestry thinking he would be easy to find. Seems not! The name is often used as a middle name and people are still using it as recently as 1977 as first names.

Two potential candidates are on the 1911 Wales Census, but only using it as middle names. But place of birth does not fit.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, his full name was John William Breese Jones, as shown only on one page of his pension/service records. His occupation before the war was Engine Driver. He was born in January 1895.

He was a Lance Corporal with the 5th Garrison Bn when he was discharged. He was 5 feet 5&1/2 inches tall, with blue eyes, a fresh complexion and light brown hair with a good character.

Regards,

Jerry

Very nice thanks for showing.

100 years ago today Fusilier Breese Jones was wounded with 1/RWF on the first day of the battle of loos. He suffered a gunshot wound to the arm and was discharged in 1917 with a silver war badge.
    Regards,

Jerry