Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)

Article about: Hi all saw this "spruced up" by well meaning previous owner in a local gun shop and couldn't resist!!! its a 1907 WW I British, 6'18 dated Wilkinson made bayonet with early "t

Default 1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)

Hi all
    saw this bayonet and scabbard "spruced up" by well meaning previous owner in a local gun shop and couldn't resist!!! its a 1907 WW I British, 6'18 dated Wilkinson made bayonet with early "teardrop" scabbard
    as you can see by the pics it has had replacement wooden grips and a generous coating of varnish "shiny"!! the grip screws are brass with the nuts bedded into the scales!!! an attempt to remove surface rust with a file have scuffed most of the metal work and the blade has been sharpened!!! the scabbard also has received the spruce up treatment... with a thick shiny coat of smooth hammerite to the top and bottom!!! and also a coat of tar like paint over the leather!!
    I thought I would attempt a sympathetic restoration..so

here's the before pictures

your comments please guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)   1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)  

1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)   1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)  

1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)   1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)  

Hi,
    Who ever did this has taken all the history away from it, it should have been left as is. IMHO.
    Dave.

Clearly it should not have been messed with, but I think this is worth restoring, I would remove the paint from the scabbard and look for a original set of grips (they are not hard to find and there's some on UK eBay at the moment). It might end up looking ok.

?

Well at least he didn't grind all the markings off. I sometimes like to UN-restore bayonets, if they're cheap enough. Find an almost relic '07 with good grips and screws and your half way there, age and oxidation will take care of the shiny bits eventually.

Jim

?

My eyes are sore just from looking at that poor bayonet

Ok guys thanks for all your comments and advice I have made a start and replaced the grips and screws with NOS ones and stripped off all the Hammerite from metalwork on the scabbard (that Hammerite is hell's own job to shift!!!) using soaks in cellulose thinners and a blunt Stanley knife (in a well ventilated shed) as the paint stripper I had wouldn't even touch it!!!!
    the finish is better than I hoped...it still has some remains of blueing and age related surface rust!!! and added to an old webbing frog I think it now looks a whole lot better already!!! I really took pity on it when I saw it lying there and couldn't leave it left in that state... and thought id have a better go at saving it!!! plus the price was very reasonable too!!!

your thoughts and advice invited
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)   1907 WW I bayonet (well meaning owner restored!!!!)  

Last edited by austromunga; 01-14-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Well done, its a huge improvement.

?

Much better!

Jim

Great job giving it back some 'dignity' as weapon of war rather than a wall dispaly

mpw
    ?

A good sympathetic restoration. Well done.

Mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast