Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.

Article about: Hey guys, Here's my new WW1 medal group. 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. All named to: 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E. I've tried to find his medal index card but it wouldn't show the

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.
    Hi Jerry,

Not often I disagree with what is said on the forums, but on this one I have to mate.

Z Reserve was still effective at the end of WWII, I know because my late grandfather was placed on it in 1951 after his colour service. (I have a copy of his file from Guards Brigade Manning and Records)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

You are both correct in this case.

Class Z reserve was brought back in again after WW2.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Not often I disagree with what is said on the forums, but on this one I have to mate.

Z Reserve was still effective at the end of WWII, I know because my late grandfather was placed on it in 1951 after his colour service. (I have a copy of his file from Guards Brigade Manning and Records)

Regards etc

Ian D

What Ade posted!, I was obviously only talking about Z reserve in regard to Great war service, not WWII and after. We were after all talking about a WWI medal group in the WWI section and there was no need to clarify this subject in regards to something that happened 30 years later, or at least I did not think there was.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks guys!!
    They will be looked after and respected as they deserve.
    I will keep all his details with the medals for my son and his son.....
    From London to Christchurch.
    I was lucky to get them.
    Price paid was far below what they are really worth.
    They won't be sold again.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    What Ade posted!, I was obviously only talking about Z reserve in regard to Great war service, not WWII and after. We were after all talking about a WWI medal group in the WWI section and there was no need to clarify this subject in regards to something that happened 30 years later, or at least I did not think there was.

Fair comment Jerry. I interpreted your response as "in general".

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Regards etc

Ian D

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Fair comment Jerry. I interpreted your response as "in general".

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Regards etc

Ian D

No worries Ian and it was a point well worth raising even if not applicable in this case. All information is worth having and posting. My grand father was Z reserve after WWI and my dad was "normal" reserves after WWII.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

36252 A C Rawlinson 10th Hussars

1914, the regiment was recalled to England and quickly despatched to France as part of theBritish Expeditionary Force, in*3rd Cavalry Division. Whilst it did not see a great deal of action as cavalry, it provided one company of men for an infantry battalion, which served in the front lines.guys.

A B.W.M has come up to the 10th Hussars - prince of Wales.
    WW1 medal.

Is this a good one? Rare?
    There's no rank.

should i go for it?

thanks

If he was an old contemptible with service in France in 1914 that adds to its interest as does it being Hussars as the horsey boys always attract a higher price than the PBI.

Perhaps someone here will look him up for you and see if anything else is known and was there anything that makes it more desirable. Any WWI medal is worth getting if the price is right as all tell a story of those momentous days.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Pte. Alfred C Rawlinson was entitled to a pair only so didn't get to theatre until 1916 the earliest and was discharged 22/2/19 Class Z. I couldn't find any other records.

Tony

Default 36252

His medal roll also mentions 5th RCR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.   1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast