Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF

Article about: On my wanted list was a Mons star medal to the 3 main Welsh regiments(IMO, Welsh, Bords & RWF, no Welsh Guards as they were not formed then), I have one for the 1/S. Wales Bords and I ma

Default 1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF

On my wanted list was a Mons star medal to the 3 main Welsh regiments(IMO, Welsh, Bords & RWF, no Welsh Guards as they were not formed then), I have one for the 1/S. Wales Bords and I managed to grab one yesterday for Fusilier William Thomas Rooke 9829 2/RWF who arrived in France on 13/08/14 which is the day after the first official date for units landing in France during the great war though is two days after the very first units arrived of whichsome advance members of 2/RWF arrived.

He was an old soldier having enlisted in 1908 and was eventually discharged with a SWB because of wounds in 1918. He was transferred out of the RWF into 4/N Staffs in 1916 and later into the Worc. Regiment. He was probably from Birmingham as so many in 2/RWF were, but this is not proven. A man with his name is listed there on the 1901 census but is missing from the 1911 census when 2/RWF were in India.

Still after one for the Welsh, 2/Welsh were there during the period and they do come up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF   1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF  

1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF   1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry,

Another nice 14 Star but you know you won't stop at the next one so don't resist it

Early entries to any Welshmen no matter which unit they were in could be a new collecting theme.

Tony

Super addition Jerry, I wonder whether our gent here may have been busted one or two times as he seems to have stayed at Private for a long time. An experienced soldier like him must surely have warranted a "pay rise"! Leon.

Quote by ynot View Post
    Jerry,

Another nice 14 Star but you know you won't stop at the next one so don't resist it

Early entries to any Welshmen no matter which unit they were in could be a new collecting theme.

Tony
    Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Super addition Jerry, I wonder whether our gent here may have been busted one or two times as he seems to have stayed at Private for a long time. An experienced soldier like him must surely have warranted a "pay rise"! Leon.
    Tony.

Already on the look for at least one more Mons star, still need one for the 2/Welsh.

As you say Leon, he might have been a naughty boy! I know he was wounded at least once, which was listed in the times on 31/12/14 and his SWB record says he was discharged because of being wounded. Pre war promotion was very slow for an OR, so maybe his record is actually quite typical.

The list below is not clear on the dates when these men were wounded but is likely to have happened before 22nd Nov 1914.

During the period August to November 1914 2/RWF were involved in the retreat, including Mons, Le Cateau, St Quentin, the race for the sea, Cordonerie etc...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF  
    Regards,

Jerry

The medal arrived today, it has some verdigris on it, hopefully easy enough to remove with disturbing the patina too much.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF   1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF  

Regards,

Jerry

That's a nice looking medal Jerry.

Quote by Kevin Grootaers View Post
    That's a nice looking medal Jerry.
    Thanks Kevin. They are my favorite medal, this and the 14/15 star version and I have a few.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi Jerry,

I just got my first Mons star.
    Only 2 were only ever awarded to kiwis. I've been keeping an eye out for them.
    How did you find the records?
    I'm having trouble gaining access.
    Can you help me with this one please?

Thanks.

Hello Danger,

I hope that the following is of some use and help to you :

1914 Mons Star WT Rooke 2/RWF

Best wishes

Andrzej