Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1914 Star

Article about: I got this in the mail today. The ribbon is a replacement, but the medal is in great shape.

Default 1914 Star

I got this in the mail today. The ribbon is a replacement, but the medal is in great shape.

1914 Star
    1914 Star
    1914 Star

?

That's nice but now you'll have to keep an eye open for his other two medals

Tony

Gosbee - Medal Card + Medal Rolls

Haven't found Service Record - will post it if I do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Star   1914 Star  

1914 Star  

Always good to have a 14 star in the collection. Do you know if he was entitled to the clasp as I can't see any mention of it on the paperwork or where he first served? He served earlier enough for it but perhaps not in France or in the front line.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Up the Buffs.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Always good to have a 14 star in the collection. Do you know if he was entitled to the clasp as I can't see any mention of it on the paperwork or where he first served? He served earlier enough for it but perhaps not in France or in the front line.
    The man named at the top of the 14 Star medal roll (S. Godfrey) was taken prisoner in Lille, France 20/12/14 so I imagine they all landed in France on the date mentioned in the rolls and on their individual MIC's.

Didn't they have to apply for the clasp and roses and only those who were killed had them sent automatically to the NOK? A check of the war diary will probably confirm where his unit was from September to the end of November 1914.

Tony

Indeed Tony, they had to be applied for so many did not. I only asked because it does not list France on his MIC and if you served elsewhere within the qualifying period you were not eligible for the clasp.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Yes that's correct Jerry. The only other MIC I looked at was for the man at the top of the list so I'm only assuming they all landed in France as the date of entry is the 7th, and he (S. Godfrey on the roll) was taken prisoner in Lille before the end of 1914.

Tony

Thank you Richie, I appreciate that. I don't understand a lot of the abbreviations, but was he awarded the victory and defense medals? I'm not sure about any of that Jerry, I'm learning as I go. If the haystack wasn't so large, I'd almost hold out hope of finding his other medals, Tony lol

His war medal was returned for renaming/adjustment, they probably got the spelling wrong, sometimes they have the rank wrong, or initials etc..... In this case they had his name ending with an R not double E as it should be so they probably impressed it incorrectly on the matching War Medal.
    Regards,

Jerry