Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife

Article about: Recently picked up my favorite edged weapon of all time and I couldn't be happier about it! I've done a ton of research, including on this forum, and wanted to confirm this is a quality (aut

Default 1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife

Recently picked up my favorite edged weapon of all time and I couldn't be happier about it! I've done a ton of research, including on this forum, and wanted to confirm this is a quality (authentic) example of a U.S. 1918 Mark I Trench Knife. I do believe I have an authentic blade from The Great War here, possibly even theater-used since it is of the Au Lion variety, but I wanted to seek clarification from people much wiser than me. That's why I came here. I'm hoping you all can help. Looking forward to your replies! Oh, and as an aside, I just went to see "1917". There was riveting cinematography throughout. The look of the film was spot on for the time period (in my humble opinion). No signs of any knuckle dusters though. Darn it! Well worth the price of admission!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife   1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife  

1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife   1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife  

1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife   1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife  

1918 Mark I Au Lion Trench Knife  

Default A nice example. & a nice display stand too

Greetings,

I wholly concur with your assessment. All original, no issues or doubts on my part. Thank you, for sharing.

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

P.S. Be careful, they are addictive :-)

MAP
    ?

As noted in your intro thread it looks good. Lance of course is the true SME...so fantastic to see that he agrees. LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lance,

Thank you kindly for your response! I'm elated to confirm the blade is a legit period piece. And, I will definitely be careful... simply can't afford to buy any more of these beautiful pieces of history anyway.

Thanks MAP! It's comforting to know I didn't pay out hundreds of dollars for a fake. Haha. That would have been a tough pill to swallow. I had confidence I was buying an original blade but you just can't be certain these days; just too many people trying to pull a fast one.

@MilitariaOne, or anyone else for that matter, could I please ask for your rating on the knife. I wouldn't dare ask for a monetary value to be placed on it, I know the unwritten rules of course, however it doesn't hurt to ask people to give it a rating from 1 to 10 (1 being awful, 10 being perfection). I ask due to the fact that I have nothing to compare it to. I know having an intact sheath is a plus since so many were damaged, scrapped, or broken during and after the war. However, I ask mainly for a rating to be placed on the overall condition and quality of the blade. I truly appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

MAP
    ?

Tough to say. This a very nice example that certainly has seen some use. I like that so to me, that adds to the history. But if we are talking strictly about condition with 10 being NIB/unissued and 1 being roached/relic...I would say this is a 6. Others may disagree.

Here is mine to compare. I'd put it at 7 to 8. Hard to see but still has a lot of cross graining

WWI Mk1 1918 Au Lion Trench Knife

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

@MAP that makes sense. I could see your reasoning for the 6. Like you said, it is tough to say. At the end of the day all that really matters is that it’s an authentic WWI piece. To hold something in your hand from The Great War is simply amazing. If only I knew the origin story behind the blade. Now that would be something.

MAP
    ?

Quote by KnuckleDuster View Post
    @MAP that makes sense. I could see your reasoning for the 6. Like you said, it is tough to say. At the end of the day all that really matters is that it’s an authentic WWI piece. To hold something in your hand from The Great War is simply amazing. If only I knew the origin story behind the blade. Now that would be something.
    "My" made up rating scale is a bit of a bell curve with long tails. Not unlike grading stamps or currency. That is...the higher the number, the harder it is to move up each notch as the smallest of imperfections get more and more critical. My blade looks great in photos. Has plenty of cross grain but there is some discoloration on the tip and the ricasso. There by knocking it down quickly

Your blade has some significant aging to the blade, maybe a re-sharpened tip but it is still fantastic. A nice used example that as you said, was most likely used in field. It is a highly collectible piece. I wouldn't think twice before buying it.

Others might have a different view on the proper place in on a scale. And welcome their views as well.