Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets

Article about: These just arrived in the mail this week. After picking up my first flashed Brodie a little less then a year ago, I've really come to enjoy them. So when these two became available I was luc

MAP
    ?

Default 2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets

These just arrived in the mail this week. After picking up my first flashed Brodie a little less then a year ago, I've really come to enjoy them. So when these two became available I was lucky to have been able to add them to my small but growing collection. Particularly because they are New York Units.

I hope you enjoy them.

PS: If anyone has a US M17 unit flashed to the Rainbow division and are considering selling send me a PM

First up is the 77th Infantry Division example. This is a British made MKI marked FS 166. (T.Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield)

The 77th Infantry Division was organized from draftees, drawn mostly of men from New York City, and trained at Camp Upton in Yaphank, New York in the central part of Suffolk County, Long Island. It was the seventh of 42 divisions to reach the Western Front. The division fought in the Battle of Château-Thierry on 18 July 1918. The "Lost Battalion" of World War I fame was composed of six companies of the 308th Infantry Regiment and one from the 307th Infantry Regiment which were part of the 77th Infantry Division.

Last edited by MAP; 10-29-2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Next up is the 27th Infantry Division Brodie. This too is a British made MkI. Marked HS 435 (Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield). Overall the liner and strap are in much better shape. Exterior paint is a dark grey. Quite different than the more tan of the others.

The "New York Division" was called to active duty during the Mexican border crisis of 1916. While on federal duty, it was redesignated as the 6th Division in June 1916. It was released from active duty in December 1916, only to be recalled for World War I service in July 1917. The 6th Division was reorganized and redesignated as the 27th Division on 1 October 1917.

Major Operations included the

- Meuse-Argonne (only the artillery)
    - Ypres-Lys
    - Somme Offensive.

Initially stationed in the East Poperinghe Line. It's battles included
    - Battle of Dickebusche Lake, Summer 1918
    - Battle of Vierstratt Ridge, Summer 1918
    - Struggled to break the German defensive Hindenburg Line, September 1918.
    - Somme Offensive, 25 September 1918
    - Selle River, November 1918

The 27th did break the Hindenburg line during the Battle of the Somme and forced a German retreat from their defensive line and forced the Germans to a final confrontation. After a final confrontation with the retreating Germans at the Selle River the Armistice ended the fighting and the division was sent home in February 1919.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

And here they are re-united with some of their brothers. (5th Div with Red diamond and 104th Regiment with torch)

click to enlarge....

Well done Michael,
    a very beautiful helmet, I also have many WW1 US M1917 and British Mk1 of US Army, including this flashed Mk1 of 77th Division.

Regards
    Roberto

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets

MAP
    ?

Very nice and clean example Roberto! Thanks for adding it to the thread.

Now....do you have a nice flashed 42nd (Rainbow) Infantry division that you want to part with or at a minimum show us??? LoL!

Michael unfortunately I do not have a 42nd Div helmet; of flashed examples I have two Mk1:
    6th and 35th Division.
    Then I add them.

Regards
    Last edited by OldSteel; 10-28-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: correct word

Michael here is my favorite: this Mk1 of 6th "Red Star" Division, it is it is perfectly preserved and complete with all its components, the chinstrap is intact and there is still the paper label under the bolt.
    Inside is still visible the original khaki paint used by the British Army and the liner's red ink stamp.

Regards
    Roberto

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets

Very nice helmets! I just finished reading the lost BN. Got a lot of respect for those guys

Hi Micheal,
    as promised here is the Mk1 example of 35th Division "Santa Fe", the flash was covered with the usual sandy material recovered by Engineers during dredging of the rivers to make it mimetic in combat.
    But beneath the sand cover is visible the flash of Division: a wheel, in this case yellow with the bottom right sector in blue color, I think it identifies the 137th Regiment.
    It is an operational example with so much history and character, in my opinion.

Regards
    Roberto

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets
    Last edited by OldSteel; 10-28-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add info

MAP
    ?

Two more very nice helmets Roberto. Thanks!

The price point on these are still at a level that they don't leave you broke. But at least for me, they are hard to find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast