Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

215th Canadian Battalion plaque

Article about: 215th Battalion (2nd Overseas Battalion of 38th Regiment Dufferin Rifles), CEF The 215th Battalion (2nd Overseas Battalion of 38th Regiment Dufferin Rifles), CEF was a unit in the Canadian E

Default 215th Canadian Battalion plaque

215th Battalion (2nd Overseas Battalion of 38th Regiment Dufferin Rifles), CEF

The 215th Battalion (2nd Overseas Battalion of 38th Regiment Dufferin Rifles), CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Brantford, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in early 1916 in the counties of Brant, Norfolk, and Haldimand. After sailing to England in April 1917, the battalion was absorbed into the 2nd Reserve Battalion on May 7, 1917. The 215th Battalion, CEF had two Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. H. E. Snider and Lieut-Col. H. Cockshutt.

The 215th Battalion is perpetuated by the 56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

I've been seeing a few of these turn up for other battalions, and memorial plaques. The plaque itself is in rough shape, as it is just make from painted plaster paris. There is a wire that runs through the whole thing that pokes out the top to mount on the wall, and that wire is holding the majority of it together. The plaque itself is close to 10 inches across. I have no idea if this was removed from a hall, or if it was a private purchace.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 215th Canadian Battalion plaque   215th Canadian Battalion plaque  

Default Re: 215th Canadian Battalion plaque

Like that as well!
    Lucky there is a wire goign thru the whole plaque, that means it was made by a profesional, otherwise not much would remain!
    cheers
    |<ris
    PS you could repair it by running new made plaster in to the crack's on the back side wait a few days and sand what is to much and color it after a other few weeks.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Re: 215th Canadian Battalion plaque

I was thinking of trying to maybe butterfly the broken corner together, but I think I will just leave it alone. I am going to donate this to my local Armory here in my small town, as they are part of the 56th RCA. They have a display case where perhaps this could just lay flat.