Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals

Article about: I just bought this pair for 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. and I wondered how do I find out more about him?

Default 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals

I just bought this pair for 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. and I wondered how do I find out more about him?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals

Here you go Jerry:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Much appreciated Ade. Excuse my ignorance, but do you know what the letters and numbers - J/2/102B15 on the line for his victory medal mean?

Also, where did you find his medal card, is it on the net as I would like to find the same out for my Grandfather Arthur Leslie Bond of the Northants regiment?
    Last edited by Jerry B; 01-26-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry

I suspect he got it from Ancestry where I also found this Medal Card for Private 15745 Arthur Leslie Bond of the Northampton Regiment. Shows him as killed in 1916.

Is this him ? - I notice that the service number differs from the handwritten one on the Service Record [15863]

Regards

Richie

Thanks Ritchie, but I assume that is a different AL Bond as my Grandfather died in the early 1970's if I remember correctly. When my wife did the search she found two Arthur Bond, both in the Northants, one with the middle name Leslie which was my Grandfathers name, and one without, either of these might be my Grandfather and she was not sure if there was some duplication as the service number is from the other one. I'll have to check the papers again and see if I can work it out.
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry

I will have another search in Ancestry if he isn't your Grandfather - but first .... weekend shopping calls

Hi Jerry, yes, Richie is correct, Ancestry.

See post 21 here about the numbers next to the entries on the medal card index:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-a...-3/#post783663.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Jerry

The elusive Mr Bond perhaps - service number 15863. Then transferred to the Royal Engineers and then finally to the Class Z reserve.

"Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920."

from Reserves and reservists the British Army of 1914-1918

BTW - have you got all of his service record ?

Regards

Richie

Thanks Ritchie and I assume this is the right Mr Bond. Interesting history he had which I did not know about.
    Regards,

Jerry

The medals arrived, some new pics showing the naming on the edge and obverse and reverse of both.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals   37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals  

37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals   37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals  

Regards,

Jerry