Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic

Article about: Pre WWI officers red tunic for a major W. M. Hore of the 41st regiment of foot, The Welsh, it would date from between 1857 when this type was introduced and as the tailors label has the addr

Hi Jerry,

had nothing better to do! Here's a little more..

His record of service is available on page 189 of the 2nd Welsh Regt file at the National Archives. A summary of contents (I can’t get it as a jpeg to upload):
    Born 28th October 1883 in Derby.
    Next of kin is Mrs E M (?) Hore (mother), Upton, Bagenalstown, County Carlow, Ireland.
    Height 5 foot 10 ½
    If passed from Militia – Yes, 1901-1902. 3rd Bn R Berks Regt.
    Promoted Lt, 1902 at Crown Hill, Plymouth.
    Period of service:
    At home, 7th May 1902-11th March 1903. East Indies 12th March 1903-(no date).

There is another record of service in a separate file at the TNA which adds a little more:

Born 28th October 1883 in Derby.
    Next of kin is Mrs E M (?) Hore (mother), Upton, Bagenalstown, County Carlow, Ireland.
    Height 5 foot 10 ½
    Single.
    Educated – Frayford (?), nr Manchester. Farnboro Park (?), Aldershot. HMS Brittannia.
    If passed from Militia – Yes, 1901-1902. 3rd Bn R Berks Regt.
    Promoted Lt, 1902 at Crown Hill, Plymouth.
    Musketry course, 1901 at Hythe.
    Transport course, Quetta, September 1906.
    If he has commanded a company of section of mounted infantry during a course of instruction – Yes, 1905. Poona.
    Joined HMS Britannia, January 1896.
    Left HMS Brittannia, April 1897.
    Served in China Station 1897-March 1900.
    Served in Channel Squadron until Nov (?) 1900.
    Period of service:
    At home, 7th May 1902-11th March 1903. East Indies 12th March 1903-28th July 1905. At home, July 1905 to 6th October 1906. South Africa 7th October 1906-(no date).
    No medals or decorations.

I have looked through the gazette a number of times but cannot find his mention in Dispatches, Do you have the page number Tom?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Just treat it gentley Jerry otherwise all sorts could drop off.....It looks pretty impressive ... was it used for everyday use or parades??.. Cheers Terry.
    Hi Terry

By the late 19th Century they had become largely ceremonial though still worn for duty at home, but after the start of WWI they become only for ceremonial duties. He must have had it made when he was a junior officer and then upgraded toward the end of WWI when he got his majority.
    Regards,

Jerry

Very nice uniform Jerry!...

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I have looked through the gazette a number of times but cannot find his mention in Dispatches, Do you have the page number Tom?
    Can't get the page to open, so here is a cached version:

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 22 JUNE, 1915. 5997

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Can't get the page to open, so here is a cached version:

www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29200/supplements/5997/page.pdf+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk]SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 22 JUNE, 1915. 5997[/url]
    Thanks Tom.

I finally managed to find the correct page and by scrolling backwards found the MID was from a Dispatch dated April 5th 1915.

War Office,
    22nd June, 1915.
    The following despatch has been received by
    the Secretary of State for War from the Field-
    Marshal Commanding-in-Chief, British Forces
    in the Field: —
    31st May, 1915.
    MY LORD,—
    In accordance with 'the last paragraph of
    my Dispatch of the 5th April, 1915, I have
    the honour to bring to notice names of those
    whom I recommend for gallant and distinguished
    service in the field.
    I have the honour to be,
    Your Lordship's most obedient Servant,
    J. D. P. FRENCH,
    Field-Marshal, Commanding-in-Chief,
    The British Army in the Field.
    Regards,

Jerry

After some time spent searching through the regimental history for WWI, which I had to buy, I discovered the following.

Aug 1st 1914 with the 3rd battalion based in Cardiff, a Captain by this date.

Jan 15th to Jan 26th 1915 took over temporary command of the 2nd Battalion in the Givenchy sub sector.

On the 25th Jan 1915 during his period in command of the 2nd Welsh Captain Hore led a counter attack of two platoons of the Black Watch and one of the 2nd Welsh at French Farm in the Givenchy sub sector.

On the 9th of May 1915 Captain Hore commanded C company of the 2nd Welsh during the battle of Aubers Ridge during which he was wounded.
    Regards,

Jerry

Adding some close up detail shots of the SB's and the collar braid and collar badges.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic   41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic  

41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic   41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic  

Regards,

Jerry

I tried a search on the Welsh national archives WWI site and found some more information on him, it is all from period newspaper reports.

Cymru 1914 - Home

Some interesting social notifications about him, a day at the races in 1912, advertising for a gardener, donating cigarettes with his wife to the troops and three detailed write ups of his wedding at llandaff cathedral-the best man was Capt. the Hon. W. Fitzroy Somerset (one of the soldier sons of Lord Raglan), who, like the bridegroom, was wounded whilst in action with the 2nd Welsh in France. -, including what the bride wore, the gifts given, the guest list, also some of the same notifications as found in the London Gazette, his MID, his appointment as Adjutant to the 3rd Welsh etc....

But also some new information including details of his wounding,

Haverfordwest and milford gazette wed 5th jan 1916

Capt. Hore, who joined the 2ncl Welsh in 1902, succeeded Major H. C. L. Lloyd as adjutant of the 3rd Welsh in September of this year. He has served in India and South Africa, and has been at the front with the 2nd Battalion, being wounded in the head at Rue l'Epinette

Haverfordwest and Milford Haven telegraph wed 19th may 1915

Haverfordwest Men Wounded. CAPTAIN HORE. We learn with regret that Captain Walter Hore, 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment, was wounded in the head on May 9th, and was taken to hospital at St. Omer, where his wound is being attended to. We are pleased to hear that the injury is not serious and that Captain Hore hopes shortly to rejoin his regiment. Before joining the Army Captain Hore, who is the only son of Mrs Hore, of Cleddau, near this town, was a midshipman in the Navy which he left in May 1902, and became 2nd Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment, being promoted to the position of Captain later.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have on the way to me a nice addition to this uniform, a 2nd Bn Welch Regiment postcard sent by him for xmas 1928 from Singapore.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic   41st Welsh regiment officers red tunic  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2