Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket

Article about: I have this one in the post to me, a named and researched 1st & 4th Battalion Hampshire regiment officers patrol tunic to a MC winner who served before and until after WWI. The rank insi

Default 4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket

I have this one in the post to me, a named and researched 1st & 4th Battalion Hampshire regiment officers patrol tunic to a MC winner who served before and until after WWI. The rank insignia has been replaced but other wise all original and untouched.

D.O.B. 18th March 1881 at HIgh Street, Alton, Southampton.
    Son of Harry Percy Burrell (profession: brewer) and Gertrude Evelyn Burrell nee Crowley.
    Major Godfrey Percy Burrell M.C. 4th Bn. Hampshire.

1st Bn Hants....2nd Lieut.......................06/01/1900
    1st Bn Hants....Lieut.............................18/01/1902
    1st Bn Hants....Resigned........................08/03/1905..............Total 5 Yrs 61 Days

4th Bn Hants....Capt.............................05/08/1911
    4th Bn Hants....Major............................27/06/1917
    4th Bn Hants....Relinquished (Ill Health)....07/05/1918..............Total 6 Yrs 275 Days

4th Bn Hants....Major............................31/07/1920
    4th Bn Hants....Relinquished Commission...29/03/1922..............Total 1 Yr 241 Days

.................................................. ..................................Total Service 13 Yrs 212 Days

In 1917, it appears that Major Burrell applied to be relieved of his appointment as Assistant Commandant at No.11 (Southport) Aircraft Acceptance Park, (Royal Flying Corps), as he apparently resented being under orders of a Captain [Hellyer] and wished to be returned to his Regiment.
    He seems to have had a protracted period of illness during the years covering his service.

There also seems to be no detailed mention of his M.C. housed within this file at the N.A. though there is a link that mentions it on the London Gazette.

Viewing Page 2580 of Issue 32654

4th Bn., Hampshire R. — Maj. G. P. Burrell,
    M.C., relinquishes his commn., 29th Mar.
    1922, and retains the rank of Maj.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket   4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  

4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket   4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  

4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket   4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  

4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Also have a copy of his medal index card listing his mention in dispatches and the Gazette entry for it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  
    Regards,

Jerry

And the listing for his Military Cross;

4006 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 17 APRIL, 1916.

Awarded the Military Cross.

Captain Godfrey Percy Burrell, I/4th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (T.F.).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu.../4006/page.pdf
    Regards,

Jerry

It has arrived, just needs a good pressing from having been in storage for a few years and then packaged off to me. In amazing condition considering it is over 100 years old.

It still has a sewn into place black crepe armband on it, for mourning.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket   4th Hampshire Battalion named MC winning officers patrol jacket  

Regards,

Jerry

A great addition Jerry. I like it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    A great addition Jerry. I like it.
    Thanks Ade and good to see that you and those who have liked this can appreciate this uncommon survivor from long ago and from a man who did great service for his country.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I wonder about the circumstances of the wear of the mourning armband? It is an interesting addition.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, I wonder about the circumstances of the wear of the mourning armband? It is an interesting addition.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,

It was suggested that it was for Edward VII, but he died a year before Burrell became a Captain, so not sure on that.

He became a Major in 1917, so it could be for someone else during that period, 1911 to 1917, though the seller had replaced the rank insignia and of course he could have continued to wear this after he was a major, and it is only known that he was a captain when it was made as it is likely he did not have a new one made when he was promoted.
    Regards,

Jerry

I must admit the King's death did cross my mind too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Jerry,
    I recommend "freezing" the jacket for a week in a sealed bag in a domestic freezer.
    This will ensure any nasty unseen bugs or fungi that MIGHT be present in the old cloth is neutralised.

Gary J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast