MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art

Article about: Hi all. This came from a small auction recently. Very happy to have it as I have seen hundreds of shell cases as trench art, but only a handful of actual shells. The shield is screwed on and

Default 77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art

Hi all. This came from a small auction recently. Very happy to have it as I have seen hundreds of shell cases as trench art, but only a handful of actual shells. The shield is screwed on and bears the inscription "Belgium 1915". I am puzzled as to why there are two holes in this shell though, perhaps someone turned it into a lamp at some point? Cheers.

Also, it has a bit of a blue tinge to it, especially around the driving band, does anyone know what a blue 77mm shell would indicate? Thanks again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art   77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art  

77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art   77mm Shell (Not Case) Trench Art  

Love it. good find mate!

?

1st I have seen.

Interesting, do you think it was made in 1915 or after the war? In 1915, there was not so many steel, but after the war, it was different.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Nice.

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Interesting, do you think it was made in 1915 or after the war? In 1915, there was not so many steel, but after the war, it was different.
    Good question, hard to tell really. But as the date is fairly early in the War, I think it is likely that it was done during the War. I have read in a few accounts about how soldiers on both sides dismantled shells, mortars and grenades for souvenirs. If it was done post- War I would expect the inscription to read "1914- 1918" or similar.

Now That I like....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

nice find James,could the blueing be due to heat.?

Possibly, although it looks like quite a dark paint. Although, for all I know its sat in someone's shed and had paint slopped over it at some point