Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Am I missing something?

Article about: Just browsing the bay looking for bayonets, and came across this: "Bayonet Training book" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bayonet-Tr...item4abd583a70 They needed training to use a bayone

Default Re: Am I missing something?

a very interesting thread and not something to be talked about flippantly ,i imagine training on hand to hand combat at close quarters was essential

Correct me if I am wrong, but pre multi loading gun/rifle days, the bayonet was a much needed extension for the Infantry man to get closer to the enemy, one shot, and then attack with the bayonet !

?

I did bayonet training in the British Army in the 1980's. (L1A1 SLR with bayonet attached).

We were instructed in not only close quarter fighting with bayonets fixed, but also firing with the bayonet fixed, it's surprising how much difference having a bayonet fitted to the end of a rifle makes to the point of aim, especially when firing at a distant target.

There are numerous recorded instances of the British soldier having "fixed bayonets" and done a frontal assault, (or otherwise). Indeed there are a couple of recorded instances in the current ongoing operations in Afghanistan where bayonets have been fixed and the enemy routed by a concerted attack by determined troops!

However, as my old sergeant-major used to say: "If you're close enough to use a bayonet, you're too f*cking close!"

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 12-22-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Grammar

Not only did a man stick the bayonet into his enemy's body, but he had to know Where to hit the man, so as to not bend or damage his bayonet or worse-get it stuck and end up having the rifle pulled from his hands by the enemy soldier's falling body. A suddenly limp 180 pound body clamped tightly onto your bayonet was an excellent way to find yourself on a battlefield unarmed and desperately reefing on your rifle trying to pull it out of a dead or writhing man's body.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Not a simple task when your opponent is trying to stick you back and multiple combatants from each side are engaged all around you. Like many things, it's the one you don't see coming that is the most dangerous to your well being.

Old USMC training film.
    Bayonet Training - YouTube
    Regards,
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2