Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

American or British bayonet?

Article about: Hi all, I have come into possession of this bayonet. I have been told mixed things, one being its british made for the American army and others saying its American made for the british! Ther

?

Default American or British bayonet?

Hi all,

I have come into possession of this bayonet. I have been told mixed things, one being its british made for the American army and others saying its American made for the british!
    There is also confusion as to whether this is WW1 or WW2.

Sorry for what might be a simple question but I am new to all this. The bayonet is marked Remmington 1913. There is also what looks like a crown and the number 17.

Thanks everyone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American or British bayonet?   American or British bayonet?  

American or British bayonet?   American or British bayonet?  

American or British bayonet?  

It's a P13 bayonet, made to fit the P14 rifle. These were made in the USA, and supplied to British forces in both WWI and WWII, to supplement stocks of Lee Enfield rifles. Both the rifles and bayonets were largely employed by the Home Guard during WWII, as well as other second line units.

The arrow and crown stamps are British, known as Broad Arrow markings, added to the bayonet after adoption by the British Army.

Regards, B.B.

?

Okay thanks for all that great info. Is there a way of telling when this would've actually been made/used. It would be interesting to know if it was indeed WW1 or WW2.

Quote by Ell137 View Post
    Okay thanks for all that great info. Is there a way of telling when this would've actually been made/used. It would be interesting to know if it was indeed WW1 or WW2.
    It was made during the WWI period. It looks like it was initially manufactured in 1913, and possibly refurbished in 1917. I'm afraid I don't know all that much about American bayonets.

EDIT: '1913' is the pattern of bayonet. The numbers stamped underneath it are the date of manufacture. In this case, July 1917.

B.B.

?

I agree in part with B.B.

Your bayonet was originally made as a pattern 1913 for the pattern 1914 rifle by Remington arms in Connecticut, USA. This bayonet was made under contract for the British in July 1917. However the US entered the war with serious shortage of 1903 rifles and therefore took over possession of the British pattern 1914 rifles and pattern 1913 bayonets which had not yet been delivered to the British. The US re chambered the rifle to 30-06 and renamed them the model 1917 rifle and bayonet. This is evident on your bayonet by the broad arrow/crown/A2/A (British inspector mark added at the Remington factory) which is checkered out with US acceptance marked underneath. Your scabbard is the American version with m1910 bent hook for attachement to their belt system. The Americans did send a number of these bayonets to the UK during the Second World War which were issued to home guard units however they added a modified frog for attachement to the British webbing system which your scabbard does not have.

Alex

Nicely interpreted Alex.

?

wow thanks Alex W! That certainly clears things up. However I have read somewhere that the X marking was Home Guard. Is this correct?

?

Spot on Alex!

?

Ell137 The X is the British convex side of bending blade proof mark which was done at the factory.