Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Another interesting pair of binoculars

Article about: I purchased this pair early last year. Because I am originally from Manchester, these appealed to me a lot. They are a rather battered pair of binoculars which were once the property of Capt

Default Another interesting pair of binoculars

I purchased this pair early last year. Because I am originally from Manchester, these appealed to me a lot. They are a rather battered pair of binoculars which were once the property of Captain P.A. McGrath of the 8th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. These are obviously a private purchase pair as can be seen from the retailers address engraved on the casing.

The medal index card is rather interesting, as it appears that Captain McGrath believed he was entitled to an oak-leaf (M.I.D). I've never got around to looking up his records yet, but I will do in time. The 8th Battalion were at Messines ridge and the third battle of Ypres in 1918, and I often wonder what M'Grath may have observed through this pair of binoculars.

Another interesting pair of binocularsAnother interesting pair of binocularsAnother interesting pair of binocularsAnother interesting pair of binocularsAnother interesting pair of binocularsAnother interesting pair of binoculars

again steve another very nice aquisition

Wow...nice glasses and from Ypres and Messines no less! Great pick up! Clear optics?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Wow...nice glasses and from Ypres and Messines no less! Great pick up! Clear optics?
    Not that clear! And try as I may, I can't get this set apart to clean the prisms. Optic wise, they are probably amongst the worst I have. But provenance wise, it is a different story again!

His temporary appointment as acting captain is gazetted on this and the following page https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/9858

and then his appointment as captain. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/1165

I could not find his mention though it might be there.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for that Jerry. I find it odd that he should actually have to ASK for his MID. The Army are usually spot on with these things. maybe the report never went through, it wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened!