Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?

Article about: Found this interesting letter, can anyone shed any light on what PRI stands for, or the PMC "D" Mess?? kind regards Ed

Default Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?

Found this interesting letter, can anyone shed any light on what PRI stands for, or the PMC "D" Mess??
    kind regards
    Ed
    Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?

Not sure if its connected but the P.R.I store when I was in the forces was where you could purchase additional issue and approved equipment such as clothing within Barracks. It was often run at a unit level and would have an Officer or Snco overseeing.

Regimental shop President perhaps? Since the letter details insignia for sale I assume this is in regard to purchases from a shop. Title would be President of the Regimental Institute. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Regimental shop President perhaps? Since the letter details insignia for sale I assume this is in regard to purchases from a shop. Title would be President of the Regimental Institute. NH
    That is exactly what PRI stands for although very few soldiers actually know that. It is somewhat archaic and dates from times when such things as regimental canteens were run by individual units. The PRI wil be an officer in the headquarters element who fulfills the role as responsible officer. It is usually the Quarter Master but in practice he will take little to do with the running of what is one of several non-public funds that exist to better the lot of the soldier by paying for non issue items such as extra sports kit and equipment or transport etc and sometimes things like TV/Video equipment on deployments. Most units will have a PRI shop although the canteen side of it does not generally exist any more. In some cases the "shop" is just an account handled by a SNCO or Warrant Officer and might be no more than a cupboard in his office containing regimental goodies ranging from sweatshirts and pewter tankards to map cases and pocket knives.

PMC is something quite different and the abbreviation stands for President of the Mess Commitee as the messes are run along the lines of a gentlemans or social club and are traditionally quite formal in procedure.

This is a nominated appointment which is the senior member of the commitee that oversees general management of affairs in either the Officers, Wo's & Sgts and Cpls Messes. Other members include; Treasurer, Property member, Entertaiments Member, Dining member etc. The appointment rotates on a set basis, usually 6 - 12 months and has nothing to do with the running of the unit only the mess itself and is largely concerned with social functions but includes the general running of the Mess although these days much of the nuts and bolts stuff is managed by civilian contractors. The appointment of PMC is not to be confused with the Presiding Member . In the Officers Mess this will always be the Commanding Officer (CO) and the PMC will usually be one of the Majors from the unit but might be a Captain. In the Sgts Mess it will be the Regimental Sgt Maj (RSM) and the PMC will be any one of the members but in a large unit it will usually be a WOII or SSGT. In the CPLs Mess the Presiding Member may be the RSM or a delegated WOII probably a Company Sgt Maj, the PMC will be usually a senior CPL.

At the top of the thread the reference to "D" Mess is simply the denomination of the establishment where there is more than one similar mess. Unheard of these days and messes are simply called The Officers Mess etc.

Sorry to be a bit longwinded but it would be easy to say much more. I hope this helps answer the question.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark, A wonderful, detailed response for the inquiry. Well done. This kind of response is something I appreciate from the group. NH

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Sorry to be a bit longwinded but it would be easy to say much more. I hope this helps answer the question.

Regards

Mark
    Mark, your reply is both informative and educational! if it wasn't for the kindness of yourself and other members of this forum, taking the time and patience to help and inform on items like this, the world would be a darker place!!

I appreciate your time and knowledge guys!

P.s. I have only just noticed the price is in "MKS" im assuming that this is a BAOR item?

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    P.s. I have only just noticed the price is in "MKS" im assuming that this is a BAOR item?
    It may well be as PRI matters would have bee nmuch more prevalent at that time outside the UK mainly because the kind of things being sold were largely specifically "regimental" such as badges and insignia and in UK there was quite a large trade in military tailoring, certainly there would likely be at least one in every garrison and in many larger towns and cities too.

However, if the abbreviation MKS does in fact (it's not one that I immediately recognise) refer to Deutschmarks, it would be the invention of someone who did not know the correct abbreviation which was DM (similar to the old RM for Reichmark). I wonder if it refers in some way to BAFF (British occupation currency which was used by the BAOR into the '70s) but I'll have a dig in the old treasure chest to see if I can work it out.

Regards

Mark
    PS This kind of information exchange is what a forum is all about is it not?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-23-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The interesting thing with PRI items is that they were often privately sourced and therefore do not match the official issue items, often being of better quality.

This RWF cap badge for instance is a PRI version, produced at the same time as the official issue AA type and being far better in terms of quality and aesthectic appeal IMO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?   Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Dead right Jerry,

At the risk of stating the obvious this is precisely the reason for them being on sale and for soldiers buying them. Falling within the frame of the charming British Army expression "Bulls**t" (distinct from the largely US connotation of "rubbish" in this context it refers to the practice of "bulling" things especially kit to make the appearance extra smart or stylish), better quality badges are something most soldiers like to effect in barrack or best dress. It has also been common for black painted or "subdued" badges to be sold in PRI shops for field use. In part this can be seen in the fact that the WWII economy plastic badges were universally hated and soldiers were actively encouraged to "throw that away and buy a proper one from the canteen"

During my own service the horrible staybrite anodised aluminium badges were standard issue but I never wore one. My first cap badge (Para Regt) was a nickel one and the seccond (RMP) was a brass one. These would be considered re-strikes by collectors but they were worn for years by a regular soldier. I think this is starting to sound like another topic

New thread here; Private purchase cap badges

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-23-2016 at 01:21 PM.

The line between what was issued and what was worn is indeed another can of worms, with many of the so called for collectors produced badges such as the Gaunt 1970's versions being popular with the serving soldier as opposed to the AA version.

Also as you mention, the blackened versions of the para regt etc....

I have contributed to the other thread and perhaps these comments should have gone to the other one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast