Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Appreciate some reassurance on this RFC Cowl

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen I'd appreciate some reassurance with this W/|\\D marked flying cowl. The seller states it is an Ordnance issue example modified at unit level. It c

Default Appreciate some reassurance on this RFC Cowl

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I'd appreciate some reassurance with this W/|\D marked flying cowl.

The seller states it is an Ordnance issue example modified at unit level.

It certainly looks very similar to the ones shown in Mick Prodger's book, Pp 130, 131.

Many thanks
    Tim

Appreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC Cowl

I know nothing about these so I cannot help you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

My problem with guessing at the age of a leather helmet is not being to handle and smell the leather.
    It appears to be a good British aviators cap, nicely marked, although I really don't know shit from shinola about Brit markings.
    The leather has such a fresh appearance it is impossible to say for sure.

looks very new for something that's been around for 100years

The number over 'WD' with letter underneath ink stamp is correct for WW1.

Many thanks for your replies Gentelmen.

Steve - I know exactly what you mean about the smell in particular!

As for the condition...yes, it is certainly good, but not overly so - below is another cowl currently for sale - I think probably for somewhere in excess of GBP5 000.

I will wait expectantly for some additional replies prior to doing anything.

Cheers
    Tim

Appreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC CowlAppreciate some reassurance on this RFC Cowl

Looks like the same maker and age as the cowl. I like it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This looks to be the same helmet being offered by WD Militaria of Carlisle. I believe the asking price is £975. Paul Laidlaw is a well-known dealer who often appears on BBC TV - usually on 'Bargain Hunt.'

Hi Steve, thank you for the reply.

You are correct.

Many thanks for clarifying the owner - we in the antipodes do not always know of those o/s. However, while I thought it to be a 'good 'un', I will (nearly) always ask if I'm out of my comfort zone.

Cheers
    Tim