Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Aqaba

Article about: Aqaba is the only coastal city in Jordan and the largest and most populous city on the Gulf of Aqaba. Situated in southernmost Jordan. To all who have seen David Lean's (1962) lawrence film

Hi aicusv.
    The explanation of the name of Jordanian beer is as follows. The capital of the country, Amman, during the period of Greek rule was called, precisely like this: Philadelphia.

Aqaba

So in a way I've been to Philadelphia twice

Aqaba

With my son in Pattison Avenue. He is the only Spanish boy I know who is a fan of the Philies

Best regards
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 11-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.

?

Aqaba

?

Hope you enjoyed it both times.

?

Awesome Pic Santi,
    I also love that movie, Have always been interested in that area and it's history. Love the railway pic's. Saw a documentary on Colonel Lawrence and it had a British Gent who was serving with him. When they would blow up the rail's. He said "He always used more explosives than necessary , I told him that was to much but he didn't listen and when it went off we were showered with debris" This all is British accent . LOL Sad ending as he really wanted to help the Arabs , But was told they would not be allowed to Govern the place after the fighting. He made promises he could not keep because of the Generals in charge. He was not a happy man after his time there!

When I saw the Philadelphia beer. I thought the same thing. I'm from Philly and I've never seen that one," But did know about the Philadelphia in ancient Egypt and the area also the Philadelphia route near Egypt and Israel's boder. Yeah its probably that one. Now if you were eating a cheesesteak with it, I would of thought different!!!

Once again Fantastic pic's and thank you for sharing them and the historical spots you visited.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Aicusv:
    Of course we loved your Philadelphia. I remember that every time I took out my map to guide us through the city, several people always approached us to find out if we needed help. Very nice people and the city and its history.

Aqaba

Aqaba

Aqaba

And yes, I confess ... I climbed the stairs running to the Rocky Steps

Phil:
    Wow, I think I just realized the origin / meaning of your nickname:
    Arizona + Philadelphia
    AZ + Phil
    AZPhil !!!
    My mother can be proud of how smart I am!!

And sad news, we just learned that a few hours ago several tourists have been stabbed in the Roman ruins of Jerash, a few kilometers from Amann, which we visited about ten days ago.
    Sad luck for a country as wonderful as Jordan ....

?

I know a former Phillie who now lives in AZ. AZPhil were ever you in Iraq?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2