Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

'Artists Rifles' Cap Badge

Article about: Jerry, Terry - thank you very much for your help and compliments. Nice to hear that you like the badge The ones you have shown a very striking indeed.. Such a unique design. I was a little t

Jerry, Terry - thank you very much for your help and compliments. Nice to hear that you like the badge The ones you have shown a very striking indeed.. Such a unique design.

I was a little thrown off, as there isn't as much detail in the eye of Minerva as I have seen in other examples.. Maybe just a poor strike?

Jerry, if you don't mine - what are some of the more obvious signs of a fake (with this style of cap badge and WWI era cap badges in general)? I'm looking to expand my collection and it'd be great to get some pointers!

Regards,
    Josh

Josh,

good points on it are the tapering slider, nearly always a good sign. Things to look out for on these in particular is a big chin on Minerva, only seen on fakes and general lack of detail. I did notice the eye, but otherwise it all looked good.

I noticed you also posted it on the brit badge forum and got thumbs up there, I did not bother as I had already posted here, but try searching on there for other good examples, best to learn to spot the good points for yourself and the bad, which is what I have done. I have an unusual variant which at first I thought was iffy as it is not cut out around the hair, but it passed muster over there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Artists Rifles' Cap Badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2