Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Battle Haunted Troops

Article about: Hi guys, I was looking through Paul Es photo thread and thought of a photo of my Great Great Uncle. He served 32 Years in the Army and experienced the Trenches from 1914 until 1918. Here is

?

Default Battle Haunted Troops

Hi guys,

I was looking through Paul Es photo thread and thought of a photo of my Great Great Uncle. He served 32 Years in the Army and experienced the Trenches from 1914 until 1918. Here is a picture of him in 1914 as a CSM before being sent to France:

And this was taken of him whilst serving in France:

The strain of Battle is obvious on his face and we can only imagine what he went through. Look at how thin he is aswell (neck) Anyone else have an photos like this to share?

Regards, Donnie.

Default Re: Battle Haunted Troops

Hi donnie,
    what a sad reflection of a once proud man as CSM he was a man to look up to, but the broken man in the picture is a sad thing to see. So many men came home lost in them selves and never talked about what they saw, but the same happend in the second war, but have we learned anything?
    dave.

Hi Donnie, these are striking images. I think with you knowing he was a relative must make them even more shocking to you. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks for sharing these photo's with us, theres more than just physical injurys caused by conflict, these photo's are a clear reminder of that. I was a similar story that my Great Grandfather faced, he only ever spoke about it once but according to his son, he was a completely changed man in many ways.
    Thanks

Danny

OKW
    ?

Still kept his hair cut and tash waxed though. Stress can't half shift the weight. Nice pic of the 'gor blimey' hat.

?

a picture say`s a thousand words donnie , thanks for showing these photos ,

cheers Al

?

Quote by donnie View Post
    Hi guys,

I was looking through Paul Es photo thread and thought of a photo of my Great Great Uncle. He served 32 Years in the Army and experienced the Trenches from 1914 until 1918. Here is a picture of him in 1914 as a CSM before being sent to France:

And this was taken of him whilst serving in France:

The strain of Battle is obvious on his face and we can only imagine what he went through. Look at how thin he is aswell (neck) Anyone else have an photos like this to share?

Regards, Donnie.
    Mate if anyone needs to know what it is like being a combat soldier all they have to do is look at the images of your Great Uncle , the horrors of combat are etched all over his face.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks for the comments guys, i get a shiver everytime i look at his face...

Regards, Donnie

Haunting indeed, It's as if he's seen a ghost. A true reminder of what it does to a person who has experienced battle.

Nice photo's

rgds, Ty

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Mate if anyone needs to know what it is like being a combat soldier all they have to do is look at the images of your Great Uncle , the horrors of combat are etched all over his face.
    well said mate