Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Binoculars

Article about: Hello everyone! I found these binoculars at a fleamarket and was wondering if anyone could help me with a little more info about them? There are no makers mark, the only markings i can find

?

Default Binoculars

Hello everyone!
    I found these binoculars at a fleamarket and was wondering if anyone could help me with a little more info about them?
    There are no makers mark, the only markings i can find are the ones in the photo, Us signal glas.
    Very thankfull for any info you can give me!

All the best!
    Joakim
    SwedenBinocularsBinoculars

?

Hello
    A link with "US signal glass" mark:
    Civil War Optics. U.S. Army Signal Corp and Medical Microscope by Zentmeyer.
    cordially
    Didier

?

Hello Didier!
    Thank you very much. I will contact the man who has the page and see what he says.
    Cordially
    Joakim

Hi

For what it's worth:

Most binoculars were either Japanned Blacked or had leather attached to them (or both). My gut feeling, if you look at the bottom in particular, is that something (leather?) has been removed - possibly because of damage and other parts may have been 'blacked' or the whole item has been polished to a uniform colour. They are certainly - I do not believe - manufactured in WW1 as the style is completely different. I tend to think they were manufactured in the 19th Century...possibly Civil war? To me the engraving is somewhat basic.

They have certainly been recently polished.

I am including some photos.

Cheers
    Tim

Typical WW1 US Signal Corps:

Binoculars

Civil War:

Binoculars

Very similar to yours:

BinocularsBinoculars

?

Thanks Allegra!
    Yes i think it has been blackened and with leather, but someone thought it would be nicer only polished.
    I would never do such a thing as i am a collector, my ordinary field is us ww2 items so these old things i dont know much about.
    It will be an decorative piece in my bookcase and it would be fun to know if it is a civil war piece.

All the best
    Joakim

Ned and William have outstanding knowledge of lot of things - you may wish to ask them.

Cheers

?

How do I get in contact with them?
    Are the present at this forum?

Cheers!

PM either Wagriff or big ned.

They are both prolific posters.

Cheers

The optics appear to be period pieces, although polished to death which affects value. My main concern is the misspelling of the word 'Glass' as 'Glas' according to the photo and how you have written it. That is incorrect and is the Dutch or German way of spelling it which makes me wonder if they have been pimped a bit to increase the resale value. Then again maybe they were made in Germany for a U.S. Government contract, but i'm not so sure about that. They're not my cup of tea because of these reasons.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned - I wondered about the engraving and I agree about the polishing.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast