Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boer war pair of medals

Article about: Arrived today, but in need of better pics as the light has gone. Included old school photocopies of his service papers and medal rolls. He served with 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards and was from Po

Default Boer war pair of medals

Arrived today, but in need of better pics as the light has gone. Included old school photocopies of his service papers and medal rolls.

He served with 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards and was from Pontypridd in South Wales. He enlisted in 1892 and was disharged to the reserve until recall for the Boer war, after which he was again transferred to the reserve. He died in 1936.

The medals are the Queens South Africa with 3 bars for Wittebergen, Transvaal and Cape Colony and the Kings South Africa with two bars, SA 1901 and SA 1902 which is his full entitlement as listed on his documents. The QSA has engraved naming and the KSA has impressed naming.

I'll add some daylight pictures tomorrow.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war pair of medals   Boer war pair of medals  

Boer war pair of medals   Boer war pair of medals  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for posting them and as usual well done on finding the information.

Matt

Excellent lot!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Better pics of the pair. The difference between the naming on the two can clearly be seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war pair of medals   Boer war pair of medals  

Regards,

Jerry

lovely looking medals in them days.nice find Jerry.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    lovely looking medals in them days.nice find Jerry.
    Thanks Harry, they do have an appeal for the iconography employed. They are a fine addition to my collection being for a Welshman from near my home town.
    Regards,

Jerry

An interesting detail with Boer war medals is the variant versions of the Queens SA medal.

The first version had the 1899-1900 on it which was removed as the war did not end by the latter date and also the hand holding the wreath points at the R in Africa. The second version has the dates removed and you can see where they were but is otherwise the same. A third version never had the dates on it and the hand with the wreath now points at the F in Africa in the same way as that seen on the Kings SA medal. I have shown that this pair of mine is the second version of the QSA medal with the wreath pointing at the R.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war pair of medals  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Very nice Jerry. As someone who collects medals to the Grenadiers, I am especially interested in this pair.
    Congratulations.

BobS

?

Not what I collect but I have had a couple of these. They are great looking medals and I love the way they are personalized.

Quote by BobS View Post
    Very nice Jerry. As someone who collects medals to the Grenadiers, I am especially interested in this pair.
    Congratulations.

BobS
    Thanks Bob. For me it was him being welsh and from near my home town that appealed, and I was after a QSA/KSA pair with a welsh connection, that said the Grenadier Guards are one of Britains premier regiments and having such from them was a bonus in my eyes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast