Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork

Article about: I've had this a while but never showed it -I think?-. It has sadly lost its original photo's and someone has opened it up and replaced them, with one to the KSLI and the other undiagnostic,

Default Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork

I've had this a while but never showed it -I think?-.

It has sadly lost its original photo's and someone has opened it up and replaced them, with one to the KSLI and the other undiagnostic, but both appear to be Great war.

The woolwork is Boer war being typical of that period and also the battle honours do not include any for South Africa and the 2nd Boer War.

The seller at an antiques center in Cardiff where I got thought it was WWI, but he dated it from the photos.

You can see it has probably been reframed or at least remounted in the frame as its missing its card mount and also because of the already mentioned replaced photos.

I might at some stage replace the photos with some from the Boer War period. I opened it up to take the pictures as the reflection from the glass is a pain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork   Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork  

Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork   Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork  

Boer Welsh Regiment Woolwork  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice piece , its a shame the sun has taken away a lot of the colours

Quote by kradman View Post
    Nice piece , its a shame the sun has taken away a lot of the colours
    Indeed, but it is about 115 years old and sunlight does this.

Probably placed in pride of place without thought to this happening and I am sure all us collectors don't place anything in the sun!
    Regards,

Jerry

Gidday Jerry

What a superb piece of handmade embroidery and Welsh Boer war history. Definitely the center piece in your living room for all to see.

What is the dimension of the woolwork? Also where it says THE WELSH REGIMENT , looks like the colour faded what colour would that have been.

Phill

So true Jerry

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Gidday Jerry

What a superb piece of handmade embroidery and Welsh Boer war history. Definitely the center piece in your living room for all to see.

What is the dimension of the woolwork? Also where it says THE WELSH REGIMENT , looks like the colour faded what colour would that have been.

Phill
    Thanks Phill.

size of the actual piece is 49 cm's high x 41 cm's wide. The scroll behind the Welsh Regiment appears to have been purple with the lettering in yellow/gold.
    Regards,

Jerry

great piece Jerry

Love it too!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris