Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

British Army Brodie Mk1

Article about: Hello to all, I wanted to share with you the latest addition to my collection of WW1 Brodie helmets, it is this Mk1 pattern, painted in textured khaki color, outside the paint is still 100%,

Default British Army Brodie Mk1

Hello to all,
    I wanted to share with you the latest addition to my collection of WW1 Brodie helmets, it is this Mk1 pattern, painted in textured khaki color, outside the paint is still 100%, while inside there are slight traces of oxidation.
    The liner is of the type with rubber ring under the felt and the structure in synthetic material; the War Office stamp in the back of oilcloth is no longer legible, but the red ink traces left from it remain visible.
    The shell is marked D / 98, I believe it is the manufacturer "J. Dixon & Sons of Sheffield."
    The interesting thing that I noticed was the replacement of the chin strap, which seems to have been made a long time ago, probably a repair done on field to Unit level.
    Every your comment or opinion is welcome.

Regards
    Roberto

British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1British Army Brodie Mk1

?

Good to see these still turning up in such an excellent condition.

I have either a MKI or a French Mle. 15 (can't remember which) with more or less the same repair to the chinstrap.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Good to see these still turning up in such an excellent condition.

I have either a MKI or a French Mle. 15 (can't remember which) with more or less the same repair to the chinstrap.

Tony
    Yes, it is true Tony,
    actually find it of first-hand in this condition has become quite rare, when I found it was still covered with dust and inside there were traces of cobwebs !!
    At first I thought it was utilized by an American Soldier because the leather of chin strap was quite thick and reminded me of the chin strap of the M1917, but then observing it better, I noticed that the buckle is different of chromed type and the strap has one row for each side imprinted into the leather, something I've never seen on US helmets.
    This is why I thought of a repair made on the field by British Soldiers.

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 02-13-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: correct word