Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British army other ranks emergency pattern utilty service dress, 1914

Article about: This is one of my favourite uniforms , being not only very rare but symbolic of the hardships endured on some of the worst battlefields in history . I think production reverted to the smarte

Default British army other ranks emergency pattern utilty service dress, 1914

This is one of my favourite uniforms , being not only very rare but symbolic of the hardships endured on some of the worst battlefields in history . I think production reverted to the smarter 02 pleated pocket and shaped seam backs by 1917 .
    The jacket came out of Russia and was probably captured stock from the Intervention , Civil War period . You can see the paper label remains inside with the word ' Emergency ' for this issue of jacket . its more of a green than the brown khaki . It was manufactured in Belfast .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914   British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914  

British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914   British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914  

British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914  

Default Re: British army other ranks emergency pattern utilty service dress, 1914

Rob,

Fantastic sercice Dress Jacket. these were patterned sealed as under Nomenclature "Simplified" in~Dec 1914. This was amongst a series of uniform simplifications which included SD trousers, KD Frocks, Great Coats etc.

They were actually superceded in june 1915 by pattern 8407/1915, which resembled the pre-war jackets with a slightly modified Lining piece behind the Breats pocket on the inside of the jacket.

Production of these Simplified Jackets was from 1914 through summer of 1915.

Is the lining piece behind your Breast pocket a single strip of cloth or only at the edges? (reinforcing the corners of the breast pocket flap like ?:

Joe Sweeney

Default Re: British army other ranks emergency pattern utilty service dress, 1914

Sorry Joe . I remember now i photographed the inside pocket re inforcements for you . They are as you see at each side of the pocket ,not all along . I also add a couple pictures for atmospheres sake with 08 equipment and one of my favourite WW1 postcard photos showing how the gear really looked on the man !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914   British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914  

British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914   British army other ranks  emergency pattern  utilty service dress,  1914  

Cracking tunic Rob and a hard one to find well done! Mark

AIF
    ?

Nice tunic and display! And that set of 08 webbing is just fantastic

Gotta be a rare to see tunic and in such good condition.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.