Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Red Cross medals

Article about: I bought these three medals in a charity store a while ago. The two red enamelled medals are British Red Cross issued. The other bronze medal was issued to Red Cross nurses who worked for th

Default British Red Cross medals

I bought these three medals in a charity store a while ago. The two red enamelled medals are British Red Cross issued. The other bronze medal was issued to Red Cross nurses who worked for the war effort on the home front, so a nurse who wasn't in the military but looking after British soldiers in a hospital in England. It was issued after WWI. I bought these together, so they could have belonged to the same person, a Annie L. Howith (0446), who is named on the back of the Proficiency in Red Cross Nursing medal. Anyhow, with the anniversary of the First World War coming up, an interesting collection of that periods nursing history (and rather apt as I'm an RN myself).

Attachment 531094

jwp
    ?

Default Re: British Red Cross medals

great finds !, heres a couple fromBritish Red Cross medalsBritish Red Cross medals my collection, red cross medal in box of issue and kent voluntary aid detachment pin badge,
    regards,
    john.

Thanks for the photos, John. Nice to see the box as well. I'm off to google the V.A.D. now to see what they were all about.

Al

jwp
    ?

glad you liked the pics, I have lots of info on vad's and quite a few pics of my grandfather at the walmer (kent) vad hospital in 1919 if interested,
    kind regards,
    John.