Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British WW1 Medals

Article about: Hi everyone, just bought this rather nice WW1 set to a Private in the Royal Army Medical Corps (comprising of the British War Medal and Victory Medal.) I am especially pleased to have the or

Default British WW1 Medals

Hi everyone, just bought this rather nice WW1 set to a Private in the Royal Army Medical Corps (comprising of the British War Medal and Victory Medal.) I am especially pleased to have the original packaging. It is interesting to note that the ribbons were never put on the medals, clearly they were put away and never worn by the owner.

Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW1 Medals   British WW1 Medals  

British WW1 Medals   British WW1 Medals  

British WW1 Medals   British WW1 Medals  

British WW1 Medals  

?

Nice set you have there Douglas I was wondering when these medals were issued??. If he never worn them it could have been some time after the war!!. Or he was killed in action?.. But either way a nice set & thanks for showing. Cheers Terry.

As they are addressed to him he must have survived, but probably just put them away almost straight away I assume. a good pick up Douglas.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Good spot Jerry.. I didn't see that bit.. He was probably just fed up after the war & thought sod it away with them.. Cheers Terry.

Thanks for the comments. They are in the packaging of the type issued in 1919 and presumably they just did not mean very much to the owner. The war must have effected people in many different ways and I'm sure many people must have wished to forget about it.

I have my great Grandads medals and I don't think he wore them they were in my grandmas loft in their
    boxes with the medals in a paper sleeve and they where not connected to the ribbon but they where in separate boxes and he Survived both wars, they are now In a Display case but I kept the boxes underneath them, I will post them some time.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Here is the MCI for you Douglas. Name is Charles Edward Millward. His service record does not survive.

Jerry will like these even more now given the Welsh connection

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW1 Medals  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

At first I wondered why the medal is dated 1914-1919 and not 1914-1918 but assume it was because of the Treaty of Versailles of June 1919 was the official ending of the "war to end all wars" rather than the November 1918 armistice which we now commemorate as the end of WWI.

Was June 1919 ever commemorated at the time or has it always been November 1918?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks for that Adrian.

Stefan, my understanding is that it was dated 1919 to include dangerous activity in the immediate aftermath, such as mine clearance.

Thank you Douglas.

From wiki: "It was also awarded to members of the British Naval mission to Russia1919 - 1920 and for mine clearance in the North Sea between 11 November 1918 and 30 November 1919."

The RAF were still in action over South Russia in 1920 so were they awarded the same or different British medals for this campaign also?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast