Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British WW1 Medals

Article about: Hi everyone, just bought this rather nice WW1 set to a Private in the Royal Army Medical Corps (comprising of the British War Medal and Victory Medal.) I am especially pleased to have the or

?

Some of the worst affected were the RAMC boys. Imagine risking your life in no-mans land to find and recover your mates. What a nightmare. He would have hated the war when it started and been on the edge of sanity when it ended.

Oz.

Stefan, June was commemorated at the time, more so than Nov 1918 if this china from my collection is any thing to go by.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    At first I wondered why the medal is dated 1914-1919 and not 1914-1918 but assume it was because of the Treaty of Versailles of June 1919 was the official ending of the "war to end all wars" rather than the November 1918 armistice which we now commemorate as the end of WWI.

Was June 1919 ever commemorated at the time or has it always been November 1918?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW1 Medals  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Some of the worst affected were the RAMC boys. Imagine risking your life in no-mans land to find and recover your mates. What a nightmare. He would have hated the war when it started and been on the edge of sanity when it ended.

Oz.
    Interesting that he started out as RAMC but switched to the infantry before wars end. I wonder which Bn of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers he was with and where he served.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    Stefan, June was commemorated at the time, more so than Nov 1918 if this china from my collection is any thing to go by.
    Fascinating to see the commemorative 1914-1919 china. Thanks for posting! The 1919 date is not something I had noticed before.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Jerry, did he switch, or was he attached to the RWF?

Oz

He must have changed units given the different service number.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2