Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Button found in Fromelles

Article about: I found a button in a field near an Australian Cemetary in Fromelles on a recent trip and need help in identifying it. I think it is brass and is approx. 17mm diam. and 5mm thick. There is a

lockwood16
    ?

Default Button found in Fromelles

I found a button in a field near an Australian Cemetary in Fromelles on a recent trip and need help in identifying it.
    I think it is brass and is approx. 17mm diam. and 5mm thick. There is a design of some sort on the domed face but can't read due to corrosion. On the other side there is stamped lettering which I think reads "COOKE BROs LTd" and other letters and full stops which can't be read. .
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Graeme
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Button found in Fromelles   Button found in Fromelles  

Last edited by lockwood16; 11-22-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Adding Pictures

Default Re: Button found in Fromelles

Hello, Graeme, Welcome to the Forum.

May we see a photo.............?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Graeme

Going on the size as given, (about 17mm), I would suggest that this one of the chin-strap buttons from an SD/FS cap or similar. Its a pity that its so corroded as to be un-intelligable. Have you tried cleaning it up?
    Cooke Bros will be the manufacturer, but whether they are British, Irish or Canadian etc I dont know.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

lockwood16
    ?

Thanks for the help so far. I will take it into a local Military Museum and show them. They might know how I could clean it up. Graeme

lockwood16
    ?

By the way, what is a SD/FS cap?
    Graeme

?

Quote by lockwood16 View Post
    By the way, what is a SD/FS cap?
    Graeme
    Graeme

SD cap = Service Dress cap. The flat topped peaked cap normally seen worn by officers, but also by other ranks in the foot guards etc.
    FS cap = The "boat" shaped one, normally seen worn by officers of the Royal Flying Corps, and other corps/regiments during WWI and other ranks at various other periods.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

TRT
    ?

What you have is a common General Service pattern button from a British Tunic. The smaller buttons were of the pockets and epaulettes. It is too big for the cap strap button. They are tiny and rare to find.

A fairly common find.

Most of there buttons were made in London or Birmingham

Regards

TRT